Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2 Computers, 1 set of speakers <--- PLEASE READ!

(!)

Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2009, 06:47 PM #1
Question 2 Computers, 1 set of speakers <--- PLEASE READ!
Hey,

I was wondering if there was any way to plug in two computers into one set of speakers. Any help would be really good.

From,

Jeremy Reid
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

25-Oct-2009, 08:14 PM #2
Lots of ways really. I need to know if your computers are desktop or laptop and what kind of Audio output they are capable of. What kind of stereo or desktop speaker set up you have. I myself am using the Creative X-Fi Notebook Card and Wireless Receiver to broadcast to my Logitech 5.1 Speakers, but I know of easier, and/or thrifty ways.
longuriel longuriel is offline longuriel has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

25-Oct-2009, 08:18 PM #3
one set of speakers, 2 computers
This is deffinetly possible and there are several ways to go about it depending on the end result your looking for, and what you have already.

First off, My solution personally was to buy a reciever from newegg.com that allowed me to plug my computer into it and it would output surround sound, this required a better sound card, specifically with optical output. My recieve had several optical inputs to allow muiltiple devices such as computer, tv, cable, exc, to be feed to the speakers. However, this is the high end solution.

2nd Solution if you already own computer speakers you want to use, would be a hardwear switch where you plug the sound in from each computer on seperate slots, and out to the speakers, switching between source a and b depending on the computer you want to hear. This is basicle the same solution as above but overall a bit cheaper (sound card + quality reciever will run you $300+) This is a device you can probable pick up in any decient audio store or possible even walmart or radio shack if your lucky. Computer speakers typically use the same size jack as earphones. So any 2 source to 1 audio adapter that can do this for headphones should work.

Option 3, if you cant find a spliter like mentioned above, go to radio shack and purchase 3 adapters to go from earphone jack to left and right audio (red and white cords) and a av switch. Make sure you get one that has the female earphone jack for your speakers to plug into, and two that have the male earphone jack to plug into the computers sound output. Not sure if this will work due to sound formats or what quality the sound will be, put its the fastest fix.

Good luck.
longuriel longuriel is offline longuriel has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

25-Oct-2009, 08:20 PM #4
Happy just gave me another idea which would a posibility depending on computers your working with. Either onboard bluetooth if it has it, or bluetooth adapters (easily purchased through new egg for 10-20$ each). Then to your stereo via a bluetooth recieve or bluetooth adapter. I didnt like this method due to I also use headsets for games while outputting playing music through speakers exc and that makes the bluetooth configuration tricky
Member with 120 posts.

26-Oct-2009, 06:51 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppycmpr View Post
Lots of ways really. I need to know if your computers are desktop or laptop and what kind of Audio output they are capable of. What kind of stereo or desktop speaker set up you have. I myself am using the Creative X-Fi Notebook Card and Wireless Receiver to broadcast to my Logitech 5.1 Speakers, but I know of easier, and/or thrifty ways.
My Computer's are desktops. The first one has an intel dp45sg mobo and uses the audio integrated on the motherboard. The second is a Power Mac G4 733mhz, using integrated sound. I use standard 3.5mm jack for my Logitech x-140 speakers.
Member with 120 posts.

26-Oct-2009, 06:53 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by longuriel View Post
This is deffinetly possible and there are several ways to go about it depending on the end result your looking for, and what you have already.

First off, My solution personally was to buy a reciever from newegg.com that allowed me to plug my computer into it and it would output surround sound, this required a better sound card, specifically with optical output. My recieve had several optical inputs to allow muiltiple devices such as computer, tv, cable, exc, to be feed to the speakers. However, this is the high end solution.

2nd Solution if you already own computer speakers you want to use, would be a hardwear switch where you plug the sound in from each computer on seperate slots, and out to the speakers, switching between source a and b depending on the computer you want to hear. This is basicle the same solution as above but overall a bit cheaper (sound card + quality reciever will run you $300+) This is a device you can probable pick up in any decient audio store or possible even walmart or radio shack if your lucky. Computer speakers typically use the same size jack as earphones. So any 2 source to 1 audio adapter that can do this for headphones should work.

Option 3, if you cant find a spliter like mentioned above, go to radio shack and purchase 3 adapters to go from earphone jack to left and right audio (red and white cords) and a av switch. Make sure you get one that has the female earphone jack for your speakers to plug into, and two that have the male earphone jack to plug into the computers sound output. Not sure if this will work due to sound formats or what quality the sound will be, put its the fastest fix.

Good luck.
I might try your second solution, I'll have a look now. Thanks
Member with 120 posts.

26-Oct-2009, 06:59 AM #7
Could anyone send me a link to one of these "switch-boxes" where I can purchase them in the UK? I can't find any of the ones I need. Only ones that split the audio between 2 speakers.
Member with 120 posts.

27-Oct-2009, 02:10 PM #8
Bump...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computers, speakers, splitters

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!