Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New scary ringing noise on booting up!

(!)

Member with 79 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Oct-2009, 08:53 PM #1
New scary ringing noise on booting up!
Today my 3 year old Dell desktop started a wierd ringing noise when booting up. It stayed ringing and my screen stayed blank until I switched off. I tried twice more - same thing. I was scared stiff my computer had died on me but switched on again and left it on longer. Other than the ringing, nothing happened for some time but then slowly the boot up began, taking much longer than usual. Finally it got there, my log-in screen appeared and the ringing stopped.
I immediately decided to back-up all my data on a new flash drive - which, as soon as it was connected, brought up a message saying 'new hardware installed, computer must re-boot'!! Exactly what I didn't want but no choice so I gave it a shot. And got the same process - scary ringing noise, no action for some time and then a very slow boot up. I am now going to leave this machine switched on permanently as I am scared it will crash on me.
Can someone please help with (a) identifying the problem, (b) advising on how serious this is or might be, (c) suggesting a solution, and (d) advising whether leaving the machine on permanently in the meantime is OK or not OK.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

28-Oct-2009, 09:06 PM #2
Its pretty obviously a mechanical noise from what Im thinking so it could be your hard drive about to pack up or just one of the fans causing the noise,if it were me I would be taking off the side panel to see if I could pinpoint where the noise was from,I can see why you think its scary,it will do no harm leaving your computer on permanently ...have to say the slow boot up points to the hard drive,so you did well to back up ...I wish you well with investigations,post back as to further progress ...
Member with 79 posts.

29-Oct-2009, 07:20 PM #3
Thanks for that and I have to agree that it points to a problem with the hard drive: there's no noise once it's up and running, just on start up. So, rather than take the side off and try to find where the noise is exactly, I'm just going to keep it on for as long as I can get away with - although I think it will slow down in due course: does the registry fill up or something, requiring a reboot to clear it? Is there any other way of dealing with that problem other than a reboot, do you know?
I'll nurse it along for a while and hope it doesn't give up on me. I have backed up everything I can but I haven't found a way of copying my e-mail folders - can this be done and then restored to a new machine/ hard drive (when that final day dawns)?
Thanks again.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

29-Oct-2009, 08:43 PM #4
Hi there, you know it might not be the hard drive playing up thats why I said to remove the side panel to check,(just a couple of screws) but if you would rather not then thats ok ....it might be that one of the fans are causing the problem,such as dust on the blades throwing it out of balance,or bearings failing, would have thought that you might have recieved a few errors from different sources if it was definitely the hard drive,or even losing some files folders perhaps ...

Regarding your emails I think it just carries on as normal even though you might be using a different computer,however click on this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309340 might help with your backing up ...

There is no problem with leaving your computer switched on permanently most businneses never shut them down at all,if thats the way you want to go ...

Its really difficult to advise on what will happen if your hard drive did fail,it might just stop and you would not be able to boot,or you might get some sort of errors beforehand, depending on the situation ....

Have a look here for a bit more information on the subject http://www.pcmech.com/article/hard-d...and-solutions/

Last edited by telecom69; 29-Oct-2009 at 09:07 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!