Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Upgrade my CPU

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Nov-2009, 12:49 AM #1
Smile Solved: Upgrade my CPU
I know most of my specs.
My mobo seems to be a Dell DXP051, Idk what that means or if that's the right name for it.
Now I want to upgrade my cpu (Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz) to something much more powerful. Like 2x more powerful or more if possible

And I don't want to change mobos if possible.

I have:
4 gb ram DDR2-667 (333 MHz)
Radeon Hd 4670

If more information is needed, just ask as I have it right here at my fingertips.
I really want it done for me, but I'm all for being taught how to do it.
Member with 3,212 posts.

05-Nov-2009, 02:09 AM #2
Go here and find out the correct model for your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=gen

Have it find your service tag button.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Nov-2009, 03:25 AM #3
If you are trying to upgrade the Dell XPS 400 listed in your computers specs, Dell and only Dell can tell you what processors are supported by your motherboard.

Your motherboard is an OEM proprietary motherboard with a proprietary BIOS so only the manufaturer that had the board built can tell you what processors it will support.
Member with 5,855 posts.

05-Nov-2009, 07:43 AM #4
And if you can't install a Core2 CPU on that board.... its not worth upgrading.

Todays $50 CPUs from AMD or Intel are faster than any P4 (P4 D) etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

05-Nov-2009, 09:49 AM #5
Thanks for the help so far. I think I found one that should be compatible. I wanted to run it by just in case I'm wrong. And also if that's a good price.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1481295
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

08-Nov-2009, 08:09 PM #6
You need to confirm with Dell if your computer can use such a chip. Its the lastest (and last) core2's. Your mobo has a 945 chipset which was released before Core2.

If Dell's BIOS doesn't allow the core2 to work, you can't use it. The 945s don't have the high speed bus that the Core2s prefer.

If you CAN use that CPU - that would be excellent, it would give your computer another 1-3 years of life.

Newegg's price is about $23 cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-037-_-Product

But because of the age of your computer... I'd keep the CPU price to around $100. It'll smoke your P4 still, while almost half price.
Like: $120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115056
$95 for 1MB less cache: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116093
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

09-Nov-2009, 03:57 AM #7
I would be very suprised in your machine will support any processors other than Pentium D 8xx up to the Pentium D 840 @ 3.2GHz. I believe you will find that the BIOS on your board is going to be locked at 800MHz.

Although the 945P chipset supported a 1066MHz. FSB Dell generally locked the BIOS to support a specific group of processors, in this case Pentium D 8xx to 840 @ 3.2GHz.

All the Pentium D's both the 8xx and 9xx series had an 800MHz. FSB except the Pentium D 805 which had a 533MHz. FSB. Some Core 2 Duo's had a 800MHz and 1066MHz FSB however, the core architecture was different.

Also, I would personally be a little hesitant to spend a lot of money on an XPS 400 since the machine used a BTX form factor board. The Dell BTX boards had a fairly high failure rate.

If you check with Dell, please post back what processors are supported since it may help someone in the future.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

09-Nov-2009, 04:19 AM #8
Ok, I'll try and get in contact with dell and see if I can get a list or something.(as soon as the guys can fix their site)
Also, a friend tossed around an idea of scrapping my machine for parts and just buying a new one, for the cpu, board and psu.
Could I actually get one that already has a powerful setup, minus the video card and ram. or am I just dreaming too big?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

09-Nov-2009, 03:49 PM #9
Why sell for scraps? If its looks new and nothing wrong with it... sell it whole. You could get about $150~200 for it. Depending on how its configured. You have an ATI 4670 card - so that is a $50 (used) value.

But... do you want to build or buy another computer? when it comes to BASIC computers, HPaq / dell / acer / etc are all pretty much the same in performance and price at $350~600. for gaming, you'd have to replace the PSU. They are a pretty good deal. But as the features/performances goes up - so does the price.

If you build yourself... you'll be looking at about $500~800, depending on your goals and budget.

If your Windows7 an RC or final? Have you activated yet? Cause the $100 or so spent maybe somewhat lost... or may add $50 value to the overall computers. Otherwise, restore the OS to its original state.

Heres something to keep in mind. the gaming performance between a $100 CPU and a $1000 is not great. But todays $50 CPUs blow away P4s.

Rough pricing:
$100 - CPU (while not the fastest, it'll smoke what you have now)
$ 80 - mobo
$150 - case + PSU (quality parts with 550w PSU)
$ 80 - 1TB HD
$100 - 4GB RAM - might as well be DDR3 since it costs almost the same as DDR2 (grrr - in that DDR2 prices have spiked)
$ 60 - DVDr drive / mouse & keyboard
$110 - Windows7 Home
------------

$680 base

But you can get away with an AMD X2 240 for $60 (2.8Ghz) or $120 for a X3 or X4.

Then choose your video card... or use what you have for now.
$175 = 5770 card (but its almost as much as a 5850)
$250~300 = 5850... these are hard to come by, so the price has gone up.

I'd say, keep your 4670 for a while until the ATI 5700/5800 prices stabilize and inventories are plentiful.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

09-Nov-2009, 08:06 PM #10
My windows is a release candidate since I'm waiting until it expires to buy it.

I know I may be asking a bit much but what cpu/mobo combo would you recommend with the stuff I already have?
As in, reuse my graphics card, hdd, ram, drivers. I don't want to push my psu any more so I'll probably have to replace it. Probably install liquid cooling while I'm in there.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

09-Nov-2009, 08:39 PM #11
Its a Dell...

Re-use your add-on video card. Everything else, replace.
HDD are cheap... quieter and faster... also with SATA, most of todays boards only have 1 PATA port, if any. RAM, slow already and incompatible with todays DDR3 systems. PSU... its a dell.

Sell your Dell... build from scratch.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!