Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Connecting my ATI 5870 to monitor with HDMI

(!)

Member with 87 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Dec-2009, 08:50 AM #1
Solved: Connecting my ATI 5870 to monitor with HDMI
hi can someone help me please

i have a LG m227wd monitor and i have just brought a Ati readon 5870 for my pc. the problem is i am trying to connect my pc to my monitor with a HDMI cable, when i do it comes up with the windows starting screen but after that the screen just goes black and my monitor flashes no signal?

it works fine with DVI.

i am using windows 7 64bit
Amd 64x2 6000+
4 g ram
ati raedon 5870

any help please
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,334 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Dec-2009, 12:27 PM #2
Try booting up in Windows safe mode by first restarting the computer and tapping the F8 function key right away. Hopefully you will get a usable display showing boot choices. Pick safe mode and let the boot complete. You should still have a usable display but it may be at a real low resolution.

Right click on an unused area of the desktop and you should get a pop-up menu. One of the choices should be "Screen Resolution" (at least it is on my Compaq desktop PC). Select it.

You should then be able to adjust the settings to match the specifications of your display. You should also be able to test any of the settings without worrying about the monitor losing signal. Windows will output the new resolution and show a text box with a button that lets you confirm you want to use the new settings. If you don't do anything, Windows will go back to the old settings in 15 seconds.

EDIT: If you still have a problem, please post the exact brand and model number of the Video Controller card that uses the ATI Radeon 5870 chip.

Last edited by cwwozniak; 22-Dec-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Member with 87 posts.

23-Dec-2009, 11:38 AM #3
hi,

well i have managed to get the hmdi to work once i got a new 40 amp power supply and a better hdmi cable, not sure which one fixed the problem.

but now the screen looks worse than dvi and looks blurry and the color is too much. dvi looks a lot better.

does anyone know why the picture is so bad and how i can improve it please?
Member with 87 posts.

23-Dec-2009, 02:46 PM #4
just letting anyone know that i think i have solved my problem, i just fiddled with the monitors sharpness and color and stuff. it looks alot better, although im not sure whats better DVI or HDMI. guess it will take time for my eyes to get use to the HDMI.

anyway i will mark this as solved.

thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!