Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connected Laptop to TV, then connection suddenly lost - can not get it working again!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jan-2010, 02:44 PM #1
Unhappy Connected Laptop to TV, then connection suddenly lost - can not get it working again!
Hi and thanks in advance for any help.
I am very confused with my problem, because I can not nail down where it comes from. I lost the connection of my laptop named above to a Panasonic TX28DTM1 TV. The most confusing is that I had achieved a fully functional connection using a scart (TV) to S-Video (laptop) cable and I have been using it for a while. Suddenly it stopped working and I can not get it to work again ever since.

I had not connected my laptop to TV in a while and when I tried to do it recently I realised the TV was not visible to my laptop, although I had sorted this problem in the past. When I had managed to get it working for the first time windows plug and play detected a new device (TV monitor) and automatically found and installed appropriate drivers. So when I found out the TV was not recognised from my laptop I did again a search for new hardware; windows detected it again but could not find any appropriate drivers. As I could not find any drivers from various Panasonic support web-pages, I decided to uninstall the "Unidentified new hardware". I was planning to upgrade to Windows 7 so I hoped after my upgrade Windows 7 Ultimate would detect the new hardware (TV) again and find the appropriate drivers. My upgrade was smooth and posed no problems, but checking for new hardware does not detect anything new now.
The only change between the last time I achieved the connection and when it stopped working was that I tried to address a conflict of my graphics card (Mobile Intel(R) 945 Graphics Chipset) drivers with windows Vista resuming from sleep mode, which made it freeze after resuming from sleep. Vista detected this problem and suggested upgrading my drivers from Intel website. After downloading the latest driver the problem was solved. This is one possible cause why my TV connection stopped working but I am not sure there is any connection.

Another possibility would be a problem of incompatibility of the intel 945 drivers with Windows 7 but that not seens to be the case, since Intel's latest drivers say they are appropriate with Windows 7. Morever my problem started before doing the Windows 7 upgrade, so it started while I was using the same OS (Vista) with when I originally made the connection work.

Finally another possibility could be that the problem comes from the Intel 945 drivers, although they are the latest ones they might be somehow unable to achieve the connection. Testing this hypothesis I noticed that Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* 7 [current version : 15.12.75.4.1930 (8.15.10.1930)] detects an additional display device when I connect the TV. I have tried all options (Single display, dual display or extended desktop) but nothing is projected on my TV. When I use the extended desktop option, which is the one I have been using before when the connection worked, I notice that the only option for the additional display device is "Notebook". There should be an option to choose "TV" there but only "Notebook" is available. Τhis seems to be relevant to the cause of my problem but I don't know how to correct it.

As a conclusion:
My laptop is a Toshiba Satelite P200
current OS: Windows 7 ultimate
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 945 with latest drivers installed

Any recomedations are highly welcome, as from my research in the web I did not come across any similar problem, someone who had the Laptop to TV connection working suddenly losing it!

PS Except for the S-video my laptop has a VGA output and my TV has a 3 RCA input except for the scart. I could try using a relevant cable but I suspect the problem is not in the cable but the configuration. Moreover I have read online that VGA to 3 RCA cable might not work because of differences (incompatibility) of the TV/laptop signals.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connect, s video, television tv, video, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!