Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My monitor keeps turning green...

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

29-Jul-2002, 01:42 PM #1
My monitor keeps turning green...
Hi,

Recently my monitor keeps tweaking out and turning green...so everything on the screen has this green tint, it seems if i hit it at the right spot...it will go back to normal...but 30 seconds later...it will slowly turn green again...anyone know whats up with that?

My monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan15sf
Amd 900 MHz
196 MB ram
40 gig HD
Voodoo 3 2000 pci
windows 2000 pro

thanks....
Member with 354 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2002, 02:12 PM #2
Lightbulb Bad idea.
Hitting the monitor won't fix the problem. Try adjusting the color of your monitor. If this doesn't solve the problem then contact the manufacturer to see what other options are available. Either that or the reason that your monitor is turning green is because it could be sick. HA-HA. Just kidding.
Member with 14,681 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jul-2002, 02:13 PM #3
First, check for bent pins on the monitor cable. If there are some, use pliers to bend them back in shape.
Second, Degauss your monitor and play around with the buttons probably on the front panel.
Member with 9,082 posts.

29-Jul-2002, 02:35 PM #4
Wouldn't hurt to update the drivers - how old is your green monitor. It might need to be replaced.
Member with 14,681 posts.

29-Jul-2002, 02:45 PM #5
I had a reallllllly old monitor that used to do something like this. I brought it to CompUsa and they offered to trash it for me. All monitors go to heaven
Senior Member with 3,992 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2002, 03:54 PM #6
Hi Reason

Sounds like the monitor is going bad (its usually the red that goes out first). I had a monitor just like that that I just replaced. It could be a bad connection inside the monitor or some of the monitor circuitry is going bad. We don't recomend trying to fix it yourself as there are dangerous voltages inside the monitor. Its usually not worth the money getting it repaired either.

P.S. Check to see if your monitor is still under warranty. Many monitors are warrantyed for three years.
Member with 39 posts.

29-Jul-2002, 04:56 PM #7
umm..ill do all that stuff...and ill get back to you
Member with 39 posts.

09-Aug-2002, 12:35 AM #8
well,

i messed with everything i could. and its still green...also its not too old of a monitor...my dad is using a much older monitor...and his works fine...the only problem with his...is it doesnt work well above 800x600 which makes everything much to big...to do the video editing and webdesign which i try to do...soo if you guys have no other ideas...than im just gonna have to buy a new monitor...

thanx
Slithy Tove
Guest with n/a posts.

09-Aug-2002, 09:30 AM #9
Sounds like the monitor is failing and age is not the real issue - when things fail they just do... regardless of their age. One additional thought... it is illegal to just dump a TV/monitor on many commercial garbage services - take your bad one to the store where you buy the new one and let them dispose of it properly.
Senior Member with 4,168 posts.

09-Aug-2002, 09:43 AM #10
One last thing you mat look at is on the back. Look for 3 buttons side by side one red, one blue and one which is green i think. they would be slotted to turn. Move the red one back and forth. Make Sure You Check The Position Of It First. Return to original position. Only a very few monitors give you access to these but the contacts do get dirty and cause the problem you describe.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!