Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SATA HDD - IDE or AHCI mode?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2010, 06:54 AM #1
SATA HDD - IDE or AHCI mode?
everytime i turn on this new build it says the SATA HDD is running in IDE mode ... do I want to switch to AHCI mode or stay on IDE...?

now as far as I know it shouldnt be on IDE should it? as SATA isnt IDE...?

I just want it on the proper setting... it also seems to take a while to POST... checking drives the monitor flicks on and off about 4 times and it detects a Samsung DVD drive I have on IDE port (temp until i get the SATA DVD tomoz) and asks me to press any key?? then says 'loading operating system' and goes to load windows... just doesnt seem right to me... other POSTS just say detected memory and drives then goes onto load windows within a few seconds... this takes exactly 19 seconds from pressing power button to 'starting windows' logo.... surely thats not right? should only be a few seconds???

can anyone advise just what settings the mobo should be on with one sata HDD on port 0 and one IDE DVD drive... (but the DVD is being swapped for a SATA dvd/bluray tomorrow)

thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2010, 08:08 AM #2
Stay with IDE.
I suspect the reason the machine is taking so long to boot is the boot drive is not set as first boot,
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,058 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 09:38 AM #3
You may have some type of quick boot option in your bios. Read your manual.

Next it is up to you if you want ahci or not. IMO you get no performance benefit with ahci however that it up to you.

Note you cannot change the sata controller mode once you install windows; ie you will need to reinstall.

There is a workaround for this however it requires you to edit the registry, copy the correct ahci drivers to the correct folder manually, and restart. It is not recommended unless you have a reasonable level of skill. In any case always have an image backup of the system driver before you attempt to edit the registry.
Member with 1,811 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 09:44 AM #4
thanks crjdriver...

yeah ive sorted BIOS... changed the SATA HDD over to Gigabyte SATA port instead of P55 and it came on in a flash...even with the IDE DVD attached... i changed the BIOS to IDE aswell.... its now a few seconds to Windows Loading...

yeah IDE will do... but its good to know I can change it without re-installing, i can edit registry and manually place folders and files...so thats not a problem...

why do they choose to do things like drivers and flashing from floppy disk still when nobody has used these for years...???

luckily I have an old floppy drive..i was gunna throw out but now i will keep it and order some floppys just to keep for situations like this... as Iam about to install win7 64-bit on the tower ive just built... and if i had a floppy disk i would have put it into AHCI mode anyway...

here is system:

Core-i7 2.8Ghz
4Gb 1600Mhz DDR3
1Gb DDR5 ATi HD 5770
Gigabyte P55 UD2
1Tb Samsung SP F3
LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVDRW
Corsair 650TX
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 09:53 AM #5
Win7 and vista will load mass storage drivers from many places; floppy, usb flash drive, CD.

As for flashing your bios, you should have qflash which will flash a bios from a usb flash drive as well as a floppy. I think [since I have not flashed a gigabyte board in a while] that qflash will work with any FAT32 hard drive as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 10:01 AM #6
yeah, I was actually on about the AHCI driver... requires floppy
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 10:05 AM #7
can I ask... could I format this 1Tb drive to NTFS on Acronis (on CD) and increase the block size...will it improve performance? (before I install Win7 64-Bit)
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2010, 10:13 AM #8
IMO no. Just use windows setup to do all partitioning and formating.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

10-Jan-2010, 10:15 AM #9
ok thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!