Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need help to install Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI (not PCI-E) on Intel 845GVSR

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jan-2010, 12:42 PM #1
Question Need help to install Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI (not PCI-E) on Intel 845GVSR
I have recently bought a Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI (not PCI-E) Video Card for

Intel 845GVSR motherboard, My computer has total of 512 RAM, 2.4 GHz P4, and 80 GB HDD

I installed the PCI video card in the PCI slot then plugged in the monitor cable and switched on the computer. But my monitor showed nothing. I waited and still nothing.

Please tell me what I should do. How to make it work.
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 01:35 PM #2
I need help very urgently. Is there anyone in this forum who can help me out?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2010, 02:05 PM #3
2 posts in about an hour. Did you expect instant service?

Go into BIOS and disable the onboard video, then the card should work if it's not defective.
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 02:12 PM #4
I am using Intel 845GVSR mother board which comes with a built in video of 64 MB. How to disable it from BIOS as there is not option like that.

Also can Intel 845GVSR motherboard support DRR2 PCI card
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2010, 02:19 PM #5
It should be under "Onboard Video Control" or something similar in the BIOS. Did you follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the card?
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 02:31 PM #6
In BIOS look under advanced then a sub-menu for Video Configuration (Primary Video Adapter). See if you can't select PCI as shown in the attached pic.

If your board is in a Dell or Gateway machine the BIOS may be different since they use a
manufacturer proprietary BIOS.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help to install Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI (not PCI-E) on Intel 845GVSR-bios.gif  
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 02:41 PM #7
I am using Intel Original Motherboard : Intel 845GVSR.

I have found the Options and there is a option just as you have mentioned. So after I change the Primary Video Adapter what should I do? Should I insert the card before making this change?

Please help.
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 07:07 PM #8
You really shouldn't need to change anything in BIOS unless you have made some previous changes.

If your board has an AGP slot (which I don't believe it has) you could use one of 3 video cards with the board. Hierarchy in rank are as follows with Onboard being the lowest and AGP being the highest.

Onboard
PCI
AGP

If you are using Onboard which is the lowest of the hierarchy on an 845 series card and you install a PCI card BIOS should automatically make the PCI card the default card. If you had a PCI card and installed an AGP card BIOS should automatically make the AGP card the default.

Since your board doesn't have an AGP slot when you install the PCI card Windows should find it, identify it and BIOS should make it the default video adapter.

With the machine powered OFF install the PCI card, power the machine ON and Windows should recognize it. After Windows recognizes it, install the card's drivers.

I went to the Intel site to get the manual for an 845GVSR but there are apparently some problems with the site. All the 845 series cards are pretty much the same except some had an AGP port and some didn't.
Computer Specs

30-Jan-2010, 07:14 PM #9
Also, as a note I haven't looked up the card specs but as I recall the 6200 series cards required a minimum of a 250 or 275 watt power supply. What is the output of your power supply? If it's has low output you may not be able to run the card.
Computer Specs

31-Jan-2010, 12:29 AM #10
The output of my power supply is 300W. I will try to do what you have said and post the results.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
pci on intel 845gvsr, pci video card, vga card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!