Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Power jack failure on Dell D610

(!)

FailSafe FailSafe is offline FailSafe has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2010, 04:14 PM #1
Solved: Power jack failure on Dell D610
I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop computer. The power jack appears to be failing. If the power cord is moved/touched, it switches to battery power. When I wiggle the connection, it will return to AC power. So, it has all the symptoms of power jack failure, which is so common with this Dell model. I have never dissembled a laptop before. How difficult is this to repair? Alternatively, where could I go to have it repaired? Thanks in advance for your advise.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
06-Feb-2010, 05:26 PM #2
Funny you should ask that - I just so happen to have a completely disassembled D610 sitting beside me right now.

First, have you checked the plug from the charger itself? There is a wire in the center of this beastie, and if its bent, missing, or shortened (the wire can sometimes get shoved in a bit) it can cause your problem. The second I would check is the jack itself. Unlike other barrel-type jacks, Dells aren't as easy to break because of their slot-inside-barrel construction. Take a small screwdriver or a needle-nosed plier and touch the jack. If it shimmies a bit, then either you've broken it somehow, or its become unsoldered from the motherboard.

If the jack is bad, taking it apart is not what I would suggest, as it is a nightmare of iddy-bitty parts (I took this one apart because I needed a parts machine). And unless you're a pro at soldering a circuit board, I would suggest either a service shop or replace the motherboard (which oddly is cheaper than a service shop). - http://www.discountelectronics.com/i..._detail&p=4554 - If you want to replace the jack, well here it is - http://www.discountelectronics.com/i..._detail&p=3019 .

A-N
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2010, 07:51 PM #3
Can you recommend a good DYI instruction guide, or site, so I can get the motherboard?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Feb-2010, 08:37 PM #4
I have a D600 and had my power jack fixed here: http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/inspiron_repair.html. I got half off for removing the motherboard first ($75). It was cheaper than buying a new one and it only took 48hrs. I tried to get a board on ebay but it cost me $99 and the board arrived DOA.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
07-Feb-2010, 10:14 AM #5
I have a link to a motherboard on my previous post - and johnny919h1234's link seems good and not a bad idea, as long as you have no qualms about completely removing the board from the case (Keep a small jar nearby for all those tiny screws!).

A-N
Computer Specs

15-Feb-2010, 10:15 PM #6
Thank you for your responses. I do have a docking station for my Dell. So as the situation deteriorates, I can resort to leaving it in there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!