Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Geek Squad flash drive won't load-lifetime of memories!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Feb-2010, 10:48 PM
Unhappy Geek Squad flash drive won't load-lifetime of memories!!
I'm using Windows 7 on an HP Entertainment laptop. I've had this 1 GB flashdrive from Geek Squad forever, had all my files and photos on it. At one point, thanks to my one year old, this flash drive stopped working due to a loose connection. After Geek Squad told me they'd charge me around $300 to retrieve my data, I took it home, and pushed it into the USB slot, wiggled it around and had to hold it in place just right with one hand to copy everything from it back onto my harddrive. I thought I threw it away because it didn't work.

ANYWAY, while procrastinating buying a new flash drive, my laptop was stolen, along with every photo i've ever taken, every file I've ever saved. Suddenly this flashdrive miraculously shows up. I have a new laptop now and thought maybe, just maybe...someone could help me figure this out. I plugged it in and the light on the drive came on!

The message I get gives me the options to a) Run LaunchU3.exe or b) open folder to view files.

If I click run launch, nothing happens. If I click open folders, it gives me a zipped file, and a launch U3 button (which also does nothing). I unzipped the file and found the launch setup, installed it, and it says the device is ready to use. But alas, it is not. It says it has 0 available memory and I still cannot open it find my files.

When this worked on my old computer, I would put it in, U3 would launch and ask me for a password and the drive would open. Someone please tell me you can open this, I would be eternally thankful to find out my lifetime memories have not been lost forever.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

24-Feb-2010, 10:56 PM
$300 sounds pretty darn reasonable to recover a lifetime worth of memories.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
flash drive, geek squad

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑