Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop not detecting headset

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 12:05 AM #1
Laptop not detecting headset
Alright so I have a BRAND new Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7, it's model # is VPCCW21FX. I got it only a week ago.
I play games so I connect with Ventrilo, but with this laptop it is not detecting my headset. It's a standard Logitech headset that connects through those pink and green jacks on the side of my laptop. It only recognizes the laptop's built-in microphone, however. This is what I've tried to get my headset's mic to work:

1. Disabling the built-in microphone. The laptop still did not recognize that I had a separate microphone plugged in through the jack.

2. Updating sound card's driver / rollback to previous, to see if it might work. It did not.

3. I tried to use the Ease of Access -> Install new microphone. The laptop would only still detect the built-in microphone, not the one that was plugged in through the jack.

I know it's not the headset's fault because it was working perfectly fine in another computer just this morning, and I tested it on my brother's computer a few minutes ago. His computer detects my headset. Yes I have the plugs in the correct holes, and no there are no drivers since this isn't a USB headset. The laptop KNOWS that something is plugged into the mic jack because it mutes the laptop's built-in microphone once there's something in it, but no sound is detected.

As you can see from the image, the Realtek microphone is the built-in one. My headset is currently plugged in, but it's not detected. This is the only thing listed:

The only thing I can think of left is that they sold me a laptop with a broken mic jack. Unless I'm missing one final possible solution.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,072 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 12:56 PM #2
on that screen if you click on the microphone - so thatthe properties button highlights
click on that
another screen opens - click on recording TAB
on that screen - do you have 3.5mm Jack - anything you can enable there?

Well I have a Sony Vaio and just plugged a mic in (on vista) and it worked ...... so ignore above - that made no difference on my machine

I used start> programs> accessories> sound recorder
to test with

try that see if it works with that application

Last edited by etaf; 27-Feb-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 02:37 PM #3
No, using Sound Recording application doesn't record anything. Last night I connected to a Sony Vaio support person and let him control my laptop to see if he could figure out. I don't think he knew what a headset was because he asked me if the sound worked on the headphones and I said yeah, and he assumed the mic started working. In the end he told me to just try another headset and if I had any questions to call their support number lol.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,072 posts.

27-Feb-2010, 02:58 PM #4
it maybe a faulty hardware , as you only had it a week - I would call sony support and talk to there people and if necessary get an RMA and change the laptop - or take it back to shop and ask them to get it to work or Swap it - you may be able to try a demo model
I did this at the Sony Shop ( i did buy from them though ) near me in UK - on an issue I had on the HDMI output and they where very good in setting p demo TV and Laptop. along with mine to test out to get it working
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!