Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SMART Short Self Test fail

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2010, 10:33 PM #1
Exclamation SMART Short Self Test fail
Hi all,

I got my Compaq computer just 1 year ago. Recently, the monthly maintenence test ran and SMART Short Self Test failed(Failed (Error code: HD521-2W). What does this mean? I went online and many posts said that it meant my Hard drive is dying. Is that true? Are there no other ways to solve this problem except replace my HDD?

Regards,

tnbrendan
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
02-Mar-2010, 03:12 PM #2
You need to back up any data you don't lose immediately. Your drive will fail more likley sooner then later. If your drive has enough wrong with it that SMART is reading it as bad then it's going to fail and needs to be replaced. On the plus side most drive manufactures offer a 3 year warrenty on drives so you can at least get a replacement.
Member with 8,539 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
02-Mar-2010, 03:45 PM #3
SMART warnings should be taken seriously. The drive is failing. Ive seen them run for months and I've seen them fail on the next boot after this kind of warning. Failure is certain.

As for warranty, if this is the drive that came in a new computer and the computer is over one year old, there is no warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty.

Exception: Items purchased on American Express have their warranties doubled for up to an additional year. That has been the case for many years and unless they have changed their policy recently, still is.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Mar-2010, 07:02 AM #4
Hi all,

thx for the replies. I ran chkdsk and found 4kb in bad sectors in my C:/ drive. What does that mean?

Regards,

tnbrendan
Member with 8,539 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
05-Mar-2010, 10:27 AM #5
That is just more evidence the drive is failing, not that more evidence is needed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!