Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trouble with Build

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2010, 12:52 AM #1
Arrow Trouble with Build
Evening lads,
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to creating a designing your own computer.

I had a refurbished model MB and that is what you "guys" pointed out before. So I bought and installed a new MB with an AMD processor.

Put it all together today, and literally after starting it, within a second, it shut down and smoke came from one of the components. So, my question is, why? I know that this rather vague and I am hoping that you can help in some way.

I am going to bet that I just fired my motherboard, again. If I have to buy another, that is fine. However, I would like to ask, "is there a certain way to install this to ensure that I don't blow it again?" Something I may have to switch on the PS or perhaps a particular plug I missed. I thought I had everything okay - guess not. I would love to be able to get this up and running so any and all suggestions are helpful. I would REALLY like to buy just one more MB and install it and have it run correctly. This will be the 3rd MB I will purchase for this build. Learning is living - so I'm learning as I go.

I will have attached photo's and info below.

Thanks lads.

Sincerely,
Christopher

MB = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128394
AMD = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103694
Case = http://www.directron.com/cs888uvbl.html#caption

Picture 1: Gigabyte piece was loose when received, and wasn't sure if it was suppose to be. However, the piece had two springs on each corner holding it to the MB, so I assumed it was suppose to.

Picture 2:Bottom right corner of pic is an open plug. By manual, it stated that it was: "ATX_12V_2X4/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connector and 2x 12 Main Power Connector)" However, I did not have a "plug" matching this plug off of the PS. (See picture 4).

Picture 3: This is a pic of the SATA connector to the HD, as well as the two USB ports that have 4 connections coming off of the case - each one having four plugs reading, "+", "-", "Port (+)","Port (-)". According to the MB, there are 10 pins (with the exception of Number 9 pin not there) and go as follows: 1 & 2 are Power; 3 & 5 are USB DX - & USB DX + (accordingly), 4 & 6 are USB DY - & USB DY + (accordingly), 7 & 8 are GND, 9 & 10 - NC.

Picture 4: I do have other plugs that are available from the PS, but they are for the fans that surround the case. These plugs are the only 4 pin plugs that did not have a place to go, BUT did have a place on the previous refurbished board that I had. (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=945P-A-R)

So I know that there are some geeks out there that can help me out. I wish to learn, so be patient with me. I wish for this to work.

Also, does the RAM position effect anything?

Hope to have a response soon.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble with Build-computer-mb-001a.jpg   Trouble with Build-computer-mb-002a.jpg   Trouble with Build-computer-mb-003a.jpg   Trouble with Build-computer-mb-004a.jpg  
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2010, 03:04 AM #2
it seems i have posted this in the wrong area - so I will repost this thread again.

I apologize for the error.
Senior Member with 1,498 posts.

Experience: Rocks are smarter !
15-Mar-2010, 03:16 AM #3
here at TSG...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornclo View Post
it seems i have posted this in the wrong area - so I will repost this thread again.

I apologize for the error.

...it is frowned upon when you duplicate your posts, so the best way to solve this would be to click on the "report " button, (lower right hand side ) of your first post in this thread, and when the next window pops up, ask that a moderator move this thread to the correct forum for you..( Hardware??)

Good luck with your problem, I hope you get it solved quickly.

I see you have already duplicated this post in another thread, so you should probably request that the moderator "merge" this thread with the second one you have started.

Again, good luck!!

Last edited by paisanol69; 15-Mar-2010 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: added comment
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!