Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Staples SP9106 Monitor Turns On Then Display Dies; Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Nerd
16-Mar-2010, 05:19 AM #1
Staples SP9106 Monitor Turns On Then Display Dies; Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
Ok..

I just recently received a used monitor from a relative to replace my current one. It is a Staples SP9106, I'm gonna say 17' monitor. It did not come with a power cord, so I found one that seemed to match the plug and set up the monitor. Turn on my computer, turn on the monitor and viola, the monitor works!..... For all of 4 seconds, then the screen goes black and the power light for the monitor stays on. I don't know what's wrong. Perhaps I need a different power cord? The one I'm using plugs in loosely, but doesn't fall out or anything. I jsut figured that the wrong kind of power cord would not turn the monitor on.

I've attempted changing the settings, like brightnesws, on the monitor, but it shuts off before I can access the menu, and when I turn the monitor back on it's gone and will not let me access it's manual display settings anymore. Restarting does not seem to work either. The monitor I'm using shows no problems, so I can safely assume it's not the graphics card, and everywhere I look I can't find drivers for this particular monitor.. So can anyone help me?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
16-Mar-2010, 10:06 AM #2
What you have is a rebadged AOC (Admiral) Envision monitor, which had those problems - I had one on the floor at Staples with the same power issues. It's pretty much a dead monitor, since what is going on is a breakdown of its internal processors. Sorry, but it's junk.

Now, mind you, it does take a specific voltage AC Adaptor power source. What did you use in place of the lost one? Any voltage listings?

A-N

16-Mar-2010, 01:33 PM #3
Reading directly off the little box thingy; and yes, that is the technical term:

Leader Electronics Inc
Class 2 Power Supply
Model No.: T481210RO3CT
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 24W
Output: 12VDC 1.0A

Other than that, idk.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
16-Mar-2010, 01:44 PM #4
That's the correct voltage, and the unit would not have started that one time if the polarity was wrong.

From your initial description, it sounds very much like the beastie that I described. We would unplug it for a day or two, then plug it back in and it would run like a charm. Then it would simply act as if it overheated and shut off. It has to do with that power jack and the processor board its attached to. If you say that plugging it in it felt loose, then I suspect that the internal jack that it mounts to has become unsoldered (much like what happens to laptop power jacks - too much heat and they become loose). There might be just enough connection there to light up the power light.

A-N

16-Mar-2010, 03:04 PM #5
So basically what you're saying is the thing isn't receiving enough power because it's damaged/old/faulty and that it MIGHT work sometimes but in the overall its garbage? Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. Stupid of me to get my hopes up.

Thank you very much, you've been a huge help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!