Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

machine exception check- when installing win 7 as a clean install

(!)

Member with 468 posts.

21-Mar-2010, 08:52 PM #1
machine exception check- when installing win 7 as a clean install
I bought a version of Win 7 home premium. My plan was to install on a XP machine. I saved everything important on outboard drive. The disc comes with a clean install. I got the error for the machine exception on either way to install -booted off the cd or using the setup.exe

I have a Gigabyte GA-k8u-939, an AMD 4600+ and 4 gig of memory that have worked fine with XP. Microsoft is telling me, after an hour and half on the phone, that it's memory board related. I did a search and found Memtest86 and are waiting for it's result. As a gut feeling I don't think it's the memory. I've checked and I have the most up to date bios for this board

I'm just curious if anyone has sen this before

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,998 posts.

21-Mar-2010, 09:39 PM #2
Did you check the gigabyte site to see if win7 is supported?

When I check, I do not find any win7 drivers ie that mb is not supported.
Member with 468 posts.

22-Mar-2010, 09:31 AM #3
Interersting I sent off an email to Giagbyte support.

Here's a link to Gigagbyte's tech files. I downloaded it but will still wait from them before I move on this. It may be a bios tweak that added Win 7 bit versions . You can see the date is Feb 2010. There is no clear cut explanation that it's really that

Thanks
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2010, 11:03 AM #4
If there are no win7 chipset drivers listed [and there are not] the board is not supported in win7.

The very first thing you do when installing an os is to download ALL drivers you are going to need along with any service packs and burn those to CD/DVD or put them on a flash drive. This makes the install go much easier. If this had been done, you would have found out that win7 was not supported.

The best thing you could do would be to install a supported os like xp or [I think] vista was listed.
Member with 468 posts.

22-Mar-2010, 11:12 AM #5
I already have XP on the machine. Here's that link that could be the bios update it needs to work-

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ctID=1914&ver=
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2010, 11:28 AM #6
That link is not a bios update. It is for a bios updating app ie @bios. Next the last bios update for that board is dated 2005 LONG before win7 was even thought about. As I posted, install an os that works and is supported by that mb ie xp or win2k.

When you install unsupported os, you are asking for a problem [which you have found]
Member with 468 posts.

22-Mar-2010, 11:29 AM #7
I got it, I guess that's it , thanks for the help
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!