Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Printer Problems

(!)

shaneofthedoyles shaneofthedoyles is offline shaneofthedoyles has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2010, 07:37 AM #1
Printer Problems
I have got a new printer its a HP D1660 and I am having a problem with it on two of my computers which are Windows Vista (Dell XPS Desktop) and Windows 7 - 64 Bit (Acer Aspire Laptop).

The problem is the printer stops half way through a printing job. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it will just stop and the power light will just flash green.

I have tried to reinstall the drivers on both computers but the same issue continues.

I am thinking maybe it could be my usb cable which is quite old but worked fine on other printers but the printers are not as new as HP D1660.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is and how I could fix it??
Member with 8,539 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
27-Mar-2010, 01:30 PM #2
How large (how many pages) are in he jobs that it fails to complete?

Does it finish an all-text job but maybe not jobs that contain graphics?

Is the cable designed for USB 2.0? If not, swap it.
shaneofthedoyles shaneofthedoyles is offline shaneofthedoyles has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Mar-2010, 04:55 AM #3
The pages are A4 size and the amount of pages is around 10 or more. It will print a few pages and then just stop half way through a page.

I think it' will print about 3 pages and then it stop. It prints text fine but it seems like anytime it stops it is printing an graphic in it. It has printed graphics and text on the same page.

The cable is quite old so I am going to go buy a new one today.
Member with 8,539 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
28-Mar-2010, 01:22 PM #4
I was mostly shooting in the dark.

I don't know if there is anything at all in this story that might give you a clue about your problem; but, here goes:

I bought an expensive HP ink-jet printer a couple of years ago, one of those advertised as a low-ink-cost printer that was marketed as competition for those low-ink-cost Kodak printers. It would stop printing on large jobs anywhere at about twenty pages and up. It seemed the more graphics there was, the fewer pages it would print.

There was something different about that, though. It would continue to print pages with lesser and lesser degrees of page completion until it would finally just quit altogether. To be clear, first, some of the graphics would start disappearing and on each succeeding page, more graphics would be missing until, finally, the text would start disappearing until there was nothing and it would stop. I tried in in Windows 2000, XP and Vista and on machines with up to 3 Gigs of RAM with no change in result.

I called HP's tech support and after four calls over as many days, I was finally bumped up another level where they told me the printer was not designed to handle large jobs. The document, itself, was only four pages (two sheets front and back); but, I was printing (or attempting to print) 500~600 copies of it for a news-letter. I started at 100 copies per run and kept reducing the quantity until I got down to ten, where it would print reliably.

I finally took it back to Office Depot telling them it was too-expensive a printer to have to babysit 10 copies per run 50 times over to get 500 copies out of it. I should have been able to put 200 sheets of paper in and walk away to come back later and put in another 200 sheets.

At least, that's the way it should have worked--and didn't.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!