Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Are medion computers any good?

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 01:20 PM #1
anyone know anything abou this PC?
I really want to buy this because of it's fantastic value for money, but, i'm a bit unsure as it's from argos and would like to know a bit about it. can anyone give me anymore info on it? first hand reviewa? the full product would be good for a start!

Thanks!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5082779.htm
Computer Specs
Member with 11,360 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Apr-2010, 02:04 PM #2
I would not think that any system that is "Excluded from our 30day Money Back Gaurantee" is something to stay away from.

05-Apr-2010, 02:17 PM #3
yeah, whatever, some actual help would be nice you know...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2010, 02:52 PM #4
There are thousands of computer configs... if you're looking for a specific review for that computer, use google. Most likely not, so you go with a general review who the computer company.

how good is the warranty? Medion is a crap brand in the USA... don't see it being anything special.
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2010, 02:53 PM #5
With out having the information about the Motherboard Other than it accepts an i3 processor and has an intel chipset, no information regarding the Power Supply it is hard to make any recommendations. The brand is Medion, Argos is just the reseller. Also as far as Value goes I do not know what the market for such systems in the UK is.

05-Apr-2010, 04:23 PM #6
Are medion computers any good?
around the internet I've found very mixed reviews, some say utter rubbish, and others brilliant bargains.
I have no questions of doubt about the value for money, for just £500 you get 1000gb of HDD, 4gb RAM, HD graphics, a new intel i3 processor and a 22inch 1080p monitor.

but what I'm worried about is quality and reliability, you only get a years warranty with the company and there have been some complaints about motherboard failures and bad company service. on the other hand though, people have said about excellent reliability after many years and praise about medions quality repair service, so I dont know what to think!

plus, these reviews are all from 2007 and below, not a single one about medions in 2010/2009. so if anyone can give any info or first had experiences i would be very gratefull! so please help!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/paÖ
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,025 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 04:50 PM #7
If you want quality and reliability, then either build the system yourself with quality parts OR buy the parts and have a shop do the assembly for you. Pre-built systems ie dell, hp, gateway, etc do not use high end parts. There are some exceptions like dells enterprise servers or alienware computers however for the most part, systems you buy are at best a compromise.
Member with 2,575 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 04:55 PM #8
I agrea with Crjdriver, Even if manufactures claim to have quality parts they usually have a PSU or motherboard that isn't as good quality as people don't often check what brand those parts are. These parts are arguably supposed to be the best quality parts to keep voltages stable and make the cpu and ram last longer and run stable
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 05:23 PM #9
Dustyjay... Think of Medion as a bit cheaper version of an Acer or an emachine. Acer is okay... most of their stuff is stuff with their name glued to the front.

For a prebuilt... I'd go with something else...
£529 Dell http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/to...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
Same i3 CPU, standard small 300w Dell PSU, ATI 5450 graphics card , 1TB / 4GB.
Then add £180 for a 23" monitor (save £10 for 21" model). total = £709

Like any other standard low-end prebuilt, the PSU would have to be replaced if a real gaming card is needed.

Another option: Dell Inspiron 570 : AMD X4 630 / 6GB / 630GB HD / GeForce 310 = £579
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home...=dhs&cs=ukdhs1 Includes a 20" monitor £638 with 23" monitor.
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2010, 05:37 PM #10
My personal experience with Acer computers has not been favorable, however I have had good luck with Acer LCD Monitors. Acer Group includes Acer, Gateway, eMachines, and Packard Bell. Medion Computers may be a rebranded system manufactured by one of the Acer Group. To be honest I have only ever seen one Medion Computer over the period of more than 20 years and that was with in the last year. and that was at an E-cycling center that I sometimes volunteer with. It was stripped and shipped for recycling no parts were kept as I remember.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
05-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM #11
I've only got one customer who owns a Medion. It's just over 3 years old and I'm not impressed by the quality of hardware. Of course it is 3 years old, and product quality from most manufacturers fluctuates over time. Still, I can't imagine that I'd ever recommend one of these systems.

As a small system builder, I always suggest you look for a local system builder first. Talk to them about what you want your system to do, what your priorities and budget are, and see what kind of builds they offer you. Check out reviews for the components they suggest and talk about them with the builder. Compare their pricing for a completed system with what they'd charge to build with your parts.

This isn't like the ancient days, and just about anyone who can turn a screwdriver can assemble a system with current hardware. My advice if you go DIY is stick with middle of the road performance, but good quality hardware on your first build. Especially, don't cut corners on the power supply.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 08:17 PM #12
Medion is German owned... but yeah, there is a high chance that they get their systems from Acer Group but with an even cheaper case. Lets see, they "make' sell Karaoke players, phones, digital cameras, camcorder, TVs, radio, audio- stereo, toasters, coffee makers, scales, power tools, speakers, Record players, mice, GPS, etc...

And for various reasons, they have sub-brands as well... all the other stuff doesn't really matter, but when it comes to computers, I think that is the worst... their site is substandard for support, products and info... their products page is empty.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
05-Apr-2010, 08:26 PM #13
I think current Acer systems are pretty good, even if the older ones were junk. Gateway and e-Machines are sort of the step children these days. Medions are, I believe still built by an independent company in Germany. And I really don't think I'd buy a Medion based on my very limited experience. But I covered that on another thread. Topgear, no matter how many threads you start, and how many times you ask, I just don't think you're going to get a rip-roaring endorsement for Medion. It's just too small a brand with too limited distribution for most professionals to have significant experience with it.

However, what I can tell you is that no small company can offer you a cheaper price than a big one for the same quality of hardware. What I pay for an OEM copy of Windows alone is something like 3 times what Dell pays for Windows and Office. If the deal looks too good to be true, it is.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 10:05 PM #14
Why start another thread about the same computer? http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/9...g-abou-pc.html

topgear, you are trying to justify the purchase of a low-cost computer, even saying 'utter rubbish, and others brilliant bargains." yeah, thats a hint.. the phrase "quality and reliability" doesn't seem to be used much. You've asked for our opinion and you don't seem to like it. There are reasons why Dell & HP sells computers for a bit more money. The ones I linked to on Dell includes an upgraded video card.

As much as I DON'T like Dells... the quality of the Dell and their support is easily superior over Medion. If your budget is only 500... then get a slower model Dell, the performance is marginally slower but it should last 1~5 years longer. If a £500 PC lasts a year and fails, you may spend £300~£500 to replace the computer.

You have choices... it won't have any effect on anyone else.

Last edited by Compiler; 06-Apr-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,970 posts.

05-Apr-2010, 10:11 PM #15
I've merged the two threads together, please continue with this one thread.

There's Medion PC's here in Canada too, probably the same brand I would think. The quality isn't there, they are or were sold by FutureShop I believe.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!