Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP f2480

(!)

Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Apr-2010, 10:18 AM #1
HP f2480
Hey, remember me? I was having problems with the scanner on the HP f4100. Never got the scanner to work. My mother bought a new all in one, (HP f2480) for about $40. I did the install correctly and it worked fine yesterday morning but when my mom went to print something out, it gave an error. It said the device was offline and it wasn't. Also, it kept telling me to align the ink cartridges which I had done twice already. Since I couldn't get the unit back online, I uninstalled it and tried re-installing but when the software tells me to connect to the USB, it doesn't even recognize the device. On my computer it will come up with the link icon and states there's an unknown device connected. I thought it might be the USB cable but the old printer works fine with it. I also tried downloading the driver from HP but again, when I get to the point to connect the USB, it doesn't recognize it. I tried looking on the HP site for solutions but found none. Is it the unit (f2480) itself? Could it be damaged in some way? We can exchange it since it was just purchased but I'd like to know specifically where the problem is since it worked fine in the morning then stopped working at night.

I'm running XP by the way.

Last edited by icenectar; 18-Apr-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Member with 8,478 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
18-Apr-2010, 11:05 AM #2
Many USB devices require you connect the device only after setting up the software. Many come with tape over the USB connector because this is very important part of the setup. In some cases, if you ignore this warning, you won't get it to work without complicated registry edits.

So, what you should have done during the removal of the software it to first disconnect the device and then remove all its software. Begin the software setup and reconnect the device only when instructed to do so by the software setup.

When dealing with devices that may be older and you aren't sure about when to connect the device, and you don't have the setup instructions, follow this simple rule: In the absence of instructions to do otherwise, do not connect any USB device before doing the software setup--EVER.

I would try this:

Disconnect the scanner

Remove/Uninstall its software

Restart the computer.

Start the software setup.

When instructed to connect the scanner, connect it to a different USB port and continue the process.

If this fails, repeat the above steps and if the scanner was previously connected to a rear USB port, try a front one. If it was connected to a front one, try a rear one, instead.

Let us know your result.

18-Apr-2010, 11:20 AM #3
I installed the software then plugged in the cable when it told me to. When I uninstalled the program, I did the same thing (unplugged the cable when it told me to). I restarted the computer and tried re-installing again. I even did a system restore to the day before I did the initial install. I moved the USB cable to different ports in the back and it still does not recognize the new printer. HP says not to use the front one (but I tried anyway and it still didn't work). Like I said, it's not the cable because the cable works just fine with our old printer.

18-Apr-2010, 11:26 AM #4
What doesn't make sense is the fact that the computer doesn't recognize it. It doesn't even come up with the "New Hardware" prompt when I plug it in. It just claims that it's unknown.

Last edited by icenectar; 18-Apr-2010 at 11:32 AM..
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 01:03 PM #5
Here is the support and software site for the HP Deskjet F2480 All-In-One.

I installed and set one up about 2 weeks ago for an elderly female.

The "HP Solution Center" is part of the software package that gets installed and is how you access all the settings and maintenance features for that unit.

Here is the "Scanning with HP Solution Center Software in Windows XP" section that you might want to read.

If you're not computer-savvy, it can be intimidating and difficult to use the scanning feature of that unit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

18-Apr-2010, 01:46 PM #6
But the printer portion isn't even working. I was able to print a document yesterday morning and then when my mom went to print something off the internet in the evening, it said the printer was off-line. The power on the printer was on but it wasn't even recognizing the connection. Also we kept getting a message to align the ink cartridges, which I did twice, but it didn't even recognize that I did. Then when I uninstalled it, following all the directions (there really isn't a lot to it) and tried re-installing it, it didn't recognize the connection. I tried doing a full install and then I tried doing just the basic driver through HP and through the CD. Both times when it got to where I connect the device via USB, it did not recognize the unit. If the device was functioning properly, it should show up on the HP website when I do a search for hardware and the new hardware wizard should at least recognize the device but it doesn't.

Could the unit (f2480) itself be faulty? There is nothing wrong with the USB cable because the old printer (f4140) functions fine with it (aside from the scanner, that is). However what still does not make sense is why it worked fine in the morning then had problems at night. I printed two pages of a document with no problems but when my mom went to print something, it wouldn't communicate with the computer properly.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 05:07 PM #7
Disconnect the printer's USB cable from the computer, but leave the printer turned on.

Uninstall all the entries in the Add Or Remove Programs list that are associated with the printer.

Only after they're all uninstalled, restart the computer.

Insert the printer CD and reinstall the software.

Connect the USB cable to the computer when you're prompted to.

After the printer is recognized(hopefully!) and the install is finished, go into the HP Solution Center.

Go into the printer toolbox and see if a test page will print.

------------------------------------------------------------------

18-Apr-2010, 09:19 PM #8
All right, my mom went out and bought another USB cable. When I plugged it in, it immediately recognized the printer then brought up the hardware wizard. So far everything is working well except for the actual install. When it tells me to connect the USB cable to complete the installation, it still doesn't recognize it's connected. Also when I have the unit turned on and connected and the hardware wizard is doing its prompts, it claims that the software has not passed Windows Logo Testing. I am in the process of removing the driver and trying again so I will post the results shortly. I am using Revo Uninstaller to ensure the software is completely removed.

18-Apr-2010, 10:55 PM #9
Okay, I got to the end of the install and it gave me a "fatal error". The installer tried to gather the information but now it's says it's cancelling the operation. It's telling me to disconnect the USB cable so it can finish uninstalling then try installing again. I've read that other people have had this problem but on Windows 7 not XP. Should I just try to download the basic driver from the website?
Member with 544 posts.

Experience: Been around a while...
19-Apr-2010, 06:18 AM #10
Could you tell us a bit more about your computer, please? Is it a laptop or desktop?

If a laptop, could you tell us which model?

If it's a desktop, then could you tell us if it has a brand and model number? If it's a desktop someone has made for you, could you tell us what motherboard it has, please?

I'm suspecting this problem may be associated with a BIOS setting or motherboard drivers.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; 19-Apr-2010 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Member with 8,478 posts.

19-Apr-2010, 09:23 AM #11
This suggestion should be a last resort; but, I have seen situations like yours where I finally had to give up on the currently-installed OS. I would back up all my user-created data, make a list of installed programs and mail settings, format and reinstall everything from scratch.

If this is the eventual course, I recommend you set up the printer immediately after installation of the OS, drivers and Windows updates and before other Windows applications.

19-Apr-2010, 09:38 AM #12
I've got an hp a1012x. It's about five years old but it's got all the current updates.

As for the reinstall from the OS, I've already done that once this year and it's extremely tedious. Especially when I have to search through Docuents and Settings for the files my mother uses and place them in a location she can find again.

20-Apr-2010, 06:44 PM #13
All right, I inaverdently did a windows restore and had to install the all in one again. Everything is working fine except for the scanner. The scanner does show up in scanners and cameras but when I click on it, I get a message saying: The computer could not detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer. Any ideas on what's wrong?
Member with 8,478 posts.

20-Apr-2010, 09:33 PM #14
sorry, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else can come up with something.

24-Apr-2010, 01:35 PM #15
Just posting an update here. I installed Photoshop and tried to import a document from the HP after I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. It gave me a message saying it couldn't find the TWAIN source. I checked the TWAIN drivers in the WINDOWS folder and none are listed. I have one folder and it's labeled hpsj_0000 but it's marked as read only. Does that have anything to do with why the scanner is not being recognized? Everything else on the product works fine (just like the old printer). I can copy and print, just not scan. Do I have to somehow edit the twain_32 folder in Windows to get the scanner to work?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!