Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: No Sound? Help

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 62 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-May-2010, 10:47 AM #1
Solved: No Sound? Help
Hi guys, I just installed a new graphics card (XFX HD5670) replacing my old Nvidia GeForce 7300LE.

(The installation was a massive pain in the ***, but eventually got it working).

The only problem I'm having now is the sound. Currently I have a Samsung HDTV (P2270HD, incase anyone wondered) connected to the PC with a DVI cable. I also have an audio cable that I think came with the TV. It is connected into the correct slot on the tv and I'm sure it is correct on the pc.

Any ideas on how to get it working (it worked fine before on the old card and didn't need any fiddling about)??

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2010, 11:30 AM #2
You sure its connected to the right jack, didn't get unplugged during the install by accident?

Also make sure that in Windows it still has the audio drivers installed and that the correct one is selected as the output device. The ATI card you bought has HDMI correct? HDMI can carry video and audio and ha likely installed a new audio device that has been set as the default output device.
Computer Specs
Member with 62 posts.

01-May-2010, 11:57 AM #3
I'm pretty sure they are correct (as they are colour coded). The ATI is HDMI. The card did come with/and install it's own HD Audio Device and it is selected as the defualt. I'm connected to the card via DVI (so I'm not sure whether sound gets carried through that or if I need the audio cable. I imagine I do still need the cable).

Here are two pics (so you can see abit clearer.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4978249...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4978249...n/photostream/

(couldn't post pics up, but check out the links)

I'm really puzzled, I'm sure there has to be a simple explanation with the audio problem.

Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 12:00 PM #4
Ah, so there's the issue. If the card set its own audio as the default then you need to change that back to the motherboard audio.

DVI does not carry audio, so you either need an HDMI cable or to change the default audio device back to the motherboard audio.
Computer Specs
Member with 62 posts.

01-May-2010, 12:47 PM #5
Brilliant. That worked a treat.
I knew it had to be something silly lol.

Thankyou Tripl6

PS. If anyone else has this problem, you might have to restart your PC afterward. Mine didn't work until it was restarted.
Computer Specs

01-May-2010, 12:53 PM #6
Great news
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, hd5670, hdtv, samsung, sound

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!