Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

External HDD-Driver problem

(!)

Member with 81 posts.

09-May-2010, 02:24 PM #1
External HDD-Driver problem
First, let me start at the very beginning.
We had two computers recently fail, each for different problems. One, the motherboard died/or video, its a laptop. The other was a hard drive failer-desktop. Due to this, I had the idea of taking the hard drive from the good computer and put it inside the other computer. I went and bought a external enclosure for sata hdd to hook it up to the usb port.
When I went to install windows on a Dell 3000 it said that the startup progra could not gain access to my hdd. I went and searched this up and they said that Dell 3000 doesn't have sata hdd drivers. So I took my hard drive to another computer- made an iso file of the windows added in sata drivers and installed windows to the external hard drive.
After completion I tried to have the computer boot from the USB-HDD and it worked. This is on a fairly new computer.
I then took the external hard drive hooked it up to the Dell 3000. I entered the bios setup and switched the boot sequence to USB Devices on the side it says (not installed).
The computer will start to load from the hard drive. The windows load up will start. But before it goes to the login screen. The computer screen turns blue. It gives me a stop error and like 0xB00007 and the second error is 0xC0000034. I searched up the error and it said that I should install the computers drivers on my external HDD.
So the problem is how do I install drivers on a HDD. I tried taking it to another computer and inserting the dell drive disc and install the drivers, but it said that my computer doesn't have the necessary requirments.
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-May-2010, 02:31 PM #2
If I understand correctly you want to use your old computer (the one that died) hard drive to your Dell 3000 right?

As far as I know that is not a good idea, I mean you are trying to take the os config from one PC to another. Unless you are sure they are 100% same you should not do that.

Instead, you should take the data from that drive and copy is on your new PC.

Again, this is just my thought.. I am sure there are other ways to do it..
Member with 81 posts.

09-May-2010, 02:37 PM #3
I am taking my laptops hard drive of which I formatted. It is a far newer laptop then dell 3000. After formating the hard drive I installed windows xp onto it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell3000, drivers, error, external, hdd

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!