Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Processor problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2010, 06:29 AM #1
Question Processor problems
OK so heres my problem I have a few questions regarding processors and how to change them.

#1 would it be worth it to change my intel pentium 2.2 ghz dual processor for a 2.9ghz intel celeron processor?

#2 would it even be possible on my motherboard? (i have the acer M1640 motherbord)

#3 If it is possible how would it be done?
Junior Member with 4 posts.

14-May-2010, 06:38 AM #2
Dear,
It depend on your motherboard. It may me support 2.9ghz intel celeron processor or may be not.

Last edited by TechGuy; 30-Aug-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

14-May-2010, 06:46 AM #3
how would i know if it does?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,357 posts.

14-May-2010, 09:54 AM #4
The only Celeron models running at 2,9 Ghz are the Celeron D 340 and 341. These are really low end processors and swapping a Pentium chip for one of those (if it's possible ofc) is more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

In other words, don't bother. Keep your current CPU, it's faster than any Celeron (I guess it's a Pentium Dual Core since none of the Pentium Ds had a clock speed of 2.2 Ghz). Clock speed doesn't matter when comparing processors of different generations. Your processor has a lower clock speed but it's more efficient and it has two cores, that alone will boost performance on most computing scenarios.

If you want to find the exact specs of your processor and motherboard, download CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
installation, processor, uninstallation

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!