Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC turns on for about 5 seconds then shuts off and repeat.

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2010, 11:09 PM #1
PC turns on for about 5 seconds then shuts off and repeat.
My computer was running fine for the past three years with no problem until recently I decided to get a new case....everything was running perfect until I transferred everything into the new case. The problem was that when I hit the power switch, the hardware would turn on for like half a second then turn off (I returned the case the next day). I searched for hours and found multiple answers, from broken power supplies to shorted motherboards. So today I went out and bought a power supply, came back home..hooked it up and still the same problem so I returned the power supply and went and bought a new motherboard, now the problem is that the pc comes on for about 5 - 10 seconds and shuts off...turns on then shuts off with 5 second increments. I am at wits end at the moment, my old specs are as follows followed by the current spec.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz

- Antec 650 watts power supply (bought rocketfish 500 watts PS and then returned it).

- Gigabyte EP43-UD3L (This is the new motherboard, the old one was GA-965P-S3)

- NVIDIA Geforce 9800gtx 512 MB (When the computer turns on, there is no picture whatsoever so I think I need RMA the video card also)

- RAM OCZ Titanium Series 2x 2GB and 2x 1GB

- Seagate 400gb Hard Drive

I can take pictures and give more information if needed, please help me out.

Also, I returned the new power supply and hooked the old one up, should I get a new one? I cannot find answers anywhere, any help will be greatly appreciated.

And one more thing, when I turn the pc on, all of the fans are running (120mm, GFX card fan, PS fan and also the heatsink)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,787 posts.

23-May-2010, 11:23 PM #2
What you are describing is a classic hsf [heatsink fan] installed incorrectly.

With the system OFF, open the case and grab hold of the heatsink part. Does it move at all? Are all four push pins tight or can you move one of them?
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Einstein
24-May-2010, 12:43 AM #3
Sometimes when the power supply go bad it sometimes takes out the motherboard.

Have you try new memory. Maybe you could go out and get a new memory then install it and see if that fix it if it does then it is due to memory. IF not then I would look at getting a new hard drive.
Then if that don't work you said that you replace the motherboard. I would go and get a new power supply it could be still that power supply could be bad. Have you reseat the video card if you have on that plugs into the slots on the motherboard. Were you able to run the bios.
hope this helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
pc problem, power supply, turns on then off

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!