Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer won't turn on when jumper port is plugged in?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-May-2010, 09:36 PM #1
Solved: Computer won't turn on when jumper port is plugged in?
I'm using a custom built computer i bought off of craigslist in good condition. Has 32 Bit XP OS.

So my problem is, i have to keep the cable that plugs into the jump port( I MAY or may not be correct) unplugged, otherwise it wont even strart up, when i unplug it, it starts the fans and CPU, But says like No boots disk detected. Im fairly new to computers in terms of hardware, but this happened when i moved it out of my room so i could get my carpets cleaned, could moving it had done something? i don't think my HDD is fried, but that could be the case.

Ill keep checking this thread through out the rest of the night until if you need anymore information
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,116 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2010, 12:25 AM #2
Exactly what do you mean by a "jump port"? Can you provide a picture of this port and the cable?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

30-May-2010, 12:58 AM #3
at above

Id assume he means a USB Port
Some people call USB Drives Jump Drives or Flash Drives.

30-May-2010, 08:39 AM #4

Whenever i plug in the cord into the four prong "Jumper Pins", it shuts down.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-May-2010, 08:47 AM #5
There is no cord that plugs into the jumpers. The jumpers set the drive as master, slave or cable select by moving the jumper cap.

30-May-2010, 09:08 AM #6
Then i must be plugging in something wrong, because i have a cord that plugs into both of my HHD's, at the jumper pins.

Now to the part of, no Disk entered? does that mean my Hard drive is fried?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,317 posts.

30-May-2010, 09:58 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshtheNoob View Post

Whenever i plug in the cord into the four prong "Jumper Pins", it shuts down.

You shouldn't be plugging in drives on a running machine.
Computer Specs

30-May-2010, 10:37 AM #8
One of the problems is the names you are using. In the picture you posted the 4 shell molex connector on the right hand side is the power connector. It should have a yellow wire on the right side looking at your diagram, then 2 black wires, then a red wire. This 4 connector supply's power to the hard drive.

Next to it will be a small area that will have either 8, 9 or 10 small pins. This is your jumper where you set the function of the hard drive, i.e. Master, Slave or Cable Select.

The wide cable is the data cable and has 40 pins and either 40 small wires or 80 small wires.

If you unplugged and re-plugged the power cable with the machine powered on you may have damaged the hard drive.

Try this; Unplug the machine from the power source and press the power on button for about 30 seconds to discharge the capacitors on the motherboard. With the machine powered off and the capacitors discharged, plug in the 4 pin molex connector on the right side. The yellow wire should be to the far right, but the plug should only plug in one way.

When the plug is plugged in plug the machine back into the power source and try to power on the machine. If the hard drive is not damaged the machine should start up and boot to Windows. If the machine fails to start with the hard drive power line plugged in it is likely that the hard drive is damaged and is shorting the motherboard or power supply so the machine won't start.

30-May-2010, 11:06 AM #9
Yeah thanks, my hard drive must be fried, because i did unplug it like that, like an idiot, and when i have something plugged into the jumper port, when its shut down, then try and turn it on, all i get is my lights on it flash a little then instantly turn off.
Thanks.

It does start with the power plug on the hard drive, only it still tells me that there is no hard drive on the computer
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,254 posts.

30-May-2010, 11:39 AM #10
But again, you should NOT be plugging any cord into the Jumper Pins as labeled in your diagram. No cables attach to those pins, only a small jumper like the white one shown in the picture here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages...stall_jump.jpg

The only things that should connect to that type of hard drive in your picture is the "Power Connection" and the "IDE Cable".

31-May-2010, 06:13 PM #11
Ok, i need more help. i've been looking for an hour on my Motherboard and the internet.

I Have a M2N-SLI Deluxe Asus Motherboard.
I Think i found my problem, i found the connector that hooks into the motherboard is cracked, so i figured it probably fell off, which made it not connect to the motherboard.

Im fixing the connector, but i have NO IDEA Where to put it. i cant find a about 15 pin plugin for the connector. Do i even connect it into the motherboard?
Computer Specs

31-May-2010, 06:41 PM #12
Without seeing a clear picture of the connector and the color of the wires that connect to the connector you reference, that question is impossible to answer.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,116 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-May-2010, 08:58 PM #13
The M2N-SLI Deluxe Asus Motherboard has both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA interfaces. The drawing in your post #4 is for a Parallel ATA drive. Are you 100% sure that your drive is a parallel ATA drive and not a SATA drive? SATA drives use a 15 pin connector with five wires for power.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Computer won't turn on when jumper port is plugged in?-serial-ata-connector.gif  
Computer Specs

01-Jun-2010, 02:42 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwozniak View Post
SATA drives use a 15 pin connector with five wires for power.
Since this was a custom machine sold on CraigsList the seller may have used a 1st generation SATA drive which had both a 15 pin SATA connector and a 4 pin molex for power.

I remember that those drives had a warning sticker on them not to use both types of power connectors simultaneously.

01-Jun-2010, 04:59 PM #15
Yes i am using what you speak of. both were plugged in and worked at the time.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!