Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

GPU temp very high even when idling, 70c idle and up to 95c while gaming?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2010, 03:41 AM #1
GPU temp very high even when idling, 70c idle and up to 95c while gaming?
I've had this computer for about a year now, and for the past month or so it has been overheating and shutting off. It is well ventilated, and I even opened the case and pointed a fan right at it. I have Speedfan and CPUID and my Gpu temp is about 70 Celsius idle, and 85-90c when running a game. I'm not sure what specs to post so here's everything I can find:

Its a Gateway (crappy, I know but its what I have)
Intel core quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.34GHz
8.00 GB ram
Windows Vista 64 bit edition
Its a Nvidia Geforce GT 120 (which is apparently the same as Geforce 9500 GT)

What I've done so far:
-Updated every driver that I could
-Took apart the computer and cleaned out everything with compressed air and a q-tip including the baby fan that's attached to the video card
-I ordered some thermal paste and will put that on when it gets here
-Made sure it has max ventilation
-Turned on the computer with it open to make sure that the fans were running, which they were.

My power supply says the output is 385W max, idk if this is good or bad or what. Sorry for my ignorance about all things hardware.
Also, my processor temps are fine, they are all in the mid 40s, if that helps at all.

I know this is kind of complicated but any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
30-May-2010, 06:32 AM #2
processer may need re seating but you can do that when you redo thermal paste, make sure you take all old paste off and buy a good one, whats room temp? this can effect it dramatically, check bios settings for fan speed and processor temp as much more acurate from bios, possible bios has re set and you are not using best options your motherboard has for controlling fan speed ( usually press delete button on start up to access bios) re psu, its very very weak for what you are running you should really have one double that capacity, 600w minimum at @80% effeciency but not cheap for sure, personnaly i would remove 4gb of the ram untill i had it sorted also
Computer Specs
Member with 1,407 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2010, 10:43 AM #3
Your CPU temperature is okay. Most GPUs produce a lot of heat even when idling...and can become so hot when gaming that it causes problems. Do you have any history of what your GPU temperature ran prior to you being concerned about its temperature?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gpu, hardware, meow, overheating, temperature

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!