Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

removed ram while pc was on!

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

31-May-2010, 01:01 PM #1
removed ram while pc was on!
So i was trying to add some ram and i diter dnt know i had to turn off the computer before i do this, so i removed it and the pc turned off, now when i turn it on the monitor doesnt respond. Is something wrong with my HD, nope i put it in a another pc and it reads it and able to write on it, is it the ram dont know, dont wana put it in another computer maybe thats what messed it up?? graphics card cant be the fan on it is running if it was dead prolly wouldnt run, cpu fan running, everything seems ok just wont start the monitor whatsss going on please help
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,217 posts.

31-May-2010, 01:27 PM #2
Remove the Power cord from the computer ... Press n Hold the power switch for about 15 seconds ..
Install the Ram ... Reconnect the power to the computer ... Boot it ... and Pray.
Let us know what happens
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,568 posts.

31-May-2010, 01:58 PM #3
make sure the memory doesn't have any burnt marks... I have seen some where it causes a spark and damages the memory and/or slot
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

31-May-2010, 02:02 PM #4
Please do not take this the wrong way however from your post the very best advise I could give you would be to take the system to a shop and have them troubleshoot the problem. It is going to cost you some money however I think you would be safer if you did it this way.

01-Jun-2010, 09:31 AM #5
ram burn
ram and the slot where the ram goes into has a little burn mark on it, how to fix this? slot and add the new ram??
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,600 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2010, 09:43 AM #6
How many RAM slots does it have - 2 or 3 or 4?

Have you tried leaving the burnt slot empty and then tried starting your computer with RAM in the undamaged slot(s)?

crjdriver gave you some good advice about taking it to a reputable shop so they can diagnose the problem with the necessary equipment. You may have fried more than just the RAM slot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

01-Jun-2010, 09:46 AM #7
2 slots for the ram only one is burnt tried to use the other one with a good ram stick still wont run, thinking that the burnt ram dimm is causing a short, are these replaceable?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,600 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 10:09 AM #8
I suggest you follow crjdriver's advice to find out exactly how much damage was done.

RAM slots are built into the motherboard and aren't replaceable.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You've learned something the hard way.

Never ever go inside a computer case to add or remove components without first turning off the computer and unplugging it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 10:46 AM #9
Stop before you do any more damage. You can keep messing with it and end up replacing ALL hardware or you can do what I told you to do in post #4.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,568 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 07:01 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
Stop before you do any more damage. You can keep messing with it and end up replacing ALL hardware or you can do what I told you to do in post #4.
ditto... hopefully the least damaged is the motherboard and the ram that has the burn. Take it to repair store.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 09:49 PM #11
Most likely the board is shot so pleasae do what crj suggests before you do more damage.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,214 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 10:32 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
...before you do more damage.

To yourself especially.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hdd, mobo, motherboard, ram

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!