Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: desktop fan running hard!!!

(!)

Member with 1,315 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Jun-2010, 07:13 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: desktop fan running hard!!!
hi guys got a p4 compaq pressario desktop the fan is blowing noisy and hard
what do i have to do with this...i googled and couldnt find anything obvious

is it bios settings...i cleaned the fan...it aint dirty

sorry...this is the fan on top of the heat sink...

thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

04-Jun-2010, 08:06 AM #2
Does this computer belong to one of your paying customers?
Member with 1,315 posts.

04-Jun-2010, 02:11 PM #3
yes helix...why...do we have to pay for advice / join or something...???

04-Jun-2010, 05:22 PM #4
I've noticed that most of your threads seem to be about different computers, and it seems you're using this forum heavily to supplement your paid services. I don't mind helping people who get stumped occasionally, but you seem to post pretty often with little info indicating you've done any troubleshooting or work yourself. I'm not comfortable with that.
Member with 1,315 posts.

04-Jun-2010, 08:11 PM #5
look,where is a guy on his own ment to get help when he is stumped...sometimes we dont have time to be googling around for answers...im not pushing work on anybody...if you know a quick answer...or have had experience let me know...if not...then dont...if i need to donate once in a while to get assistance i will...why are you on my case? how have i offended? i googled the model...couldnt see anything obvious...read an article on making sure its clean...it was...they also said to make sure the fan is operating properly...it is...i have found it hard to get info from people here...on where to get info...maybe if we knew how to find info more efficiently i would...sorry if i offended you helix...this site means a lot to me...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

04-Jun-2010, 09:57 PM #6
Make sure the heat sink is collecting heat, as it should, and is clean enough to relinquish the heat to the air generated by that hard working fan.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,416 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2010, 10:52 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I've noticed that most of your threads seem to be about different computers, and it seems you're using this forum heavily to supplement your paid services. I don't mind helping people who get stumped occasionally, but you seem to post pretty often with little info indicating you've done any troubleshooting or work yourself. I'm not comfortable with that.
It certainly does appear that he uses Tech Support Guy forums to find fixes and make a lot of repairs to a wide range of computers. I guess the question is - does Tech Support Guy allow someone that runs a for-profit business repairing computers to use the forums? Or maybe he just owns a lot of different kind of computers and they all have problems! Dunno...

04-Jun-2010, 11:42 PM #8
As far as I know TSG certainly allows it. I just choose not to volunteer my talents for other people's profit. I don't mind offering assistance to pros once in a while, but I personally believe PK-her0 is taking advantage of free labor. Other members are free to do as they please with their time.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 01:49 AM #9
I don't know the Compaq BIOS, but I'd certainly look for anything related to Fan Temp settings, or any installed utility for same. It wouldn't hurt to examine the connection for any damage.
I might not take my machine to PK, but I have certainly been helped with paying customers from time to time, so I don't mind.
Member with 1,315 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 05:34 AM #10
DH do you think im the only professional who comes to this site? i mean do you really believe that? in essence anybody on this site (computer shop owner/network admin/programmers) are all essentially using this info to better their skills to make themselves more valuable to companies etc... I have always found your info helpfull and life saving at times...and the detail that some people express on this site is staggering. im not asking to be spoon fed DH...a quick link and a few words might be enough. why doesnt tech guy host a chargeable on line work shop for specific things...i would gladly pay!!! as for you DH...what can i do to get your help again...why do you feel the way you do towards me. I am so sure that people on this site dont have 20 systems in their houses. or maybe get rid of me altogether and suggest a good "professional" tech site.
let me know...thanks
Member with 1,315 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 05:39 AM #11
and again guys...thanks for the input...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 06:12 AM #12
Hello,

I am thinking along the lines of the cpu heatsink not being mounted very well. It may have worked loose during transport or something like that. If the heatsink isn't fully touching the CPU will get hotter and the fan will speed up to try and keep it cool enough. When the computer notices that it still isn't getting cooler due to it not touching the cpu properly it speeds up more. Try re-mounting the heatsink and putting a good quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver or something like that.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jun-2010, 06:57 AM #13
I would like to address a couple of your questions, and at the same time give you some advice.

You ask; "DH do you think im the only professional who comes to this site?" I believe DoubleHelix knows that you are not the only "professional" that comes to this site. To a degree I feel the same way he does, a true "professional" may need help from time to time, but should not need help on a regular basis.

I have my own personal list of names of posters who I believe are selling their "professional" services, and I tend to skip their threads even if I know the solution to their posted problem. I don't do this to be "mean", I do it so the poster will take that opportunity to sharpen their troubleshooting skills and not be dependent on others to solve the majority of their problems. It's not completely matter of money since the people who volunteer information at this site are unpaid; however you are using someone else's knowledge to make money for yourself.

Go back to your original post. High fan speeds are one of the easiest problems to solve. What information have you provided in that post? #1-The fan is running fast (hard). #2-The machine has a Pentium 4 processor. #3-The machine is a Compaq Presario. #4-You used Google to search for the problem. #5-You cleaned the fan.

Although Google can be an excellent reference it certainly isn't going to provide an answer for every malfunctioning machine. Let's look at some information you did not post.

What is the EXACT model of the machine? Is the Pentium 4 processor a socket 478 or socket 775 processor? If it is a socket 478 machine what core does the processor use, Northwood or Prescott? If it is a socket 775 machine what core does the processor use Prescott or Cedar Mill? What measurers did you take other than cleaning the fan? Is their heat transfer taking place between the processor heatspreader and the heatsink? What is the processor temperature at idle in BIOS? Compaq's are known for poor chassis cooling design, have you investigated chassis cooling? Does the chassis use a cooling shroud?

If you can't answer the questions in the above paragraph you have not done an adequate job of troubleshooting.

05-Jun-2010, 07:22 AM #14
point taken guys...i understand what you mean...thanks for the help i will sort this now...thanks a mill!!!
Member with 1,315 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 05:42 PM #15
its incredible!!! checked the temp of the cpu in bios...it was running at 72 degrees celcius...took off the heat sink casing and it wasnt sitting properly...hardly noticible..black clip had cracked so i super glued it and reseated it and its running at 42 degrees...nice and quite...thanks guys...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!