Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My computer screen keeps turning off?

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

05-Jun-2010, 10:07 PM #1
Angry My computer screen keeps turning off?
Hi im new here and need some help so this is my first post,
My partners computer screen keeps turning off for no apparent reson, first we started by restarting the screen and some times it may stay on,
but today that dousent even work, after a restart of the computer and of the monitor the screen will dim for a secound then turn off, well it go's blank the power light is still on.
Iv played with the cord while the computer is still on and some times the picture comes back but only for a secound but then disapears again i noticed she also has an adaptore on the end of her cord that go's into the box (sorry no idea on what type of plug it is but its not the normal plug, hence the adaptor it douse have gigabyte printed on it)
I dont belive its the video card coz the picture is fine when its on with no errors but im not shore if the plug itself is stuffed.
Im not shore if its the cable coz when the screen is blank it still has the blue light and when i unplug it after about 30sec it will change to orange, so i belive the computer is still giving a signel to the screen.
And i cant tell if its the screen coz i couldent work out a way i could test it.
Im not shore what the problem is and we dont have alot of money to go out buying all new parts to try work the problem out if any one can help that would be great.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,582 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jun-2010, 10:34 PM #2
Hi SteveEO, and welcome to TSG.

Are you talking about the screen on a laptop computer or a monitor connected to a desktop computer? If it is a desktop computer, is the monitor connecting to a video controller built into the motherboard or is it a separate card that plugs into the motherboard?

It might help us to help you if you told us the brands and model numbers of the computer and monitor.

06-Jun-2010, 01:18 AM #3
G, Day cwwozniak,

Yeah its a desktop computer. The screen is plugged into the video card.

Her screen is a
BENQ FP767-12

Her Video Card is
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

06-Jun-2010, 01:28 AM #4
Shine a strong light on the monitor when it cuts out. If you see a faint image of the normal Windows desktop, the LCD backlight may have failed. If that is the case, then repair or replacement of the monitor is called for. If the monitor is out of warranty, it would probaly be cheaper to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEO View Post
Her Video Card is NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT
FYI, that is the part number of the video controller chip, not the brand and model number of a video controller card.

07-Jun-2010, 01:22 AM #5
Yeah it was working fine last night, but this morning its playing up again, So i shined a light on the screen and cant see anything at all.

So what do you think so far? a Monitor problem?

Also NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT i thort that was the brand and model number i used the
Run dxdiag to get that info
Im not shore what her video Cards brand and model number, i wasent with her when she got her computer.
Computer Specs

07-Jun-2010, 09:51 AM #6
The problem could be with the monitor, the video cord, the adapter on the video cord, or possibly the video output socket on the computer.

You mentioned the problem comes and goes sometimes when you have played with the cord. If that is the case, then try to isolate the problem by only moving specific parts of the cord and the adapter while holding other sections still.

The problem could be with the monitor, the video cord, the adapter on the video cord, or possibly the video output socket on the computer.

08-Jun-2010, 12:03 AM #7
Ok ive isolated the problem, dont no why i dident think of it first i swapped her monitor with my monitor, the problem was then happening to me on my computer with her monitor.
So now im gonna have to save for another monitor for me and she can have mine
Thanks for ya support cwwozniak
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2010, 12:27 AM #8
You're welcome.

If both monitors have detachable video cables, you could try swapping just the cables to make sure she does not have a bad cable.

10-Jun-2010, 05:40 AM #9
Im pritty shore its the monitor, i swapped just the monitors and the screen was turning off on my computer.

Thanks again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
monitor

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!