Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Sound from Windows XP

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2010, 06:15 PM #1
Unhappy No Sound from Windows XP
Hi

I don't what, but all of sudden I have lost sound from sound card.

The sound card I have is a Creative Audigy 2 Sound Blaster. In an attempt to fix the problem, I have reinstalled the drivers, I have ensured that I have the latest version from Creative, but nothing is working. There have been no error messages during installation, and there are no warning signs given in the treeview from within Device Manager.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!!!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

21-Jun-2010, 09:02 PM #2
Go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and check if anything is disabled or not in Speaker Settings or if its Muted.
Hope this helps!
Member with 51 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 05:23 PM #3
Hi

These are one of the first things I checked and card is enabled.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,957 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2010, 05:44 PM #4
Have you tried another set of speakers or headphones with the card?
Computer Specs
Member with 769 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 05:47 PM #5
Silly question, but have you checked to see if the speakers have come unplugged?
Member with 51 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 05:15 PM #6
The speakers are connected, yes!

When I switch on the speakers, I hear the power coming from the card, and each speaker is working, too.

I only have one set of set of speakers.
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2010, 09:10 PM #7
Do you have headphones to try? Its best to rule out the easy things first before trying more in-depth solutions.
Member with 51 posts.

26-Jun-2010, 01:08 AM #8
No Sound from Windows XP
Sorry for the delay.

Yes, I did try my headphones, and I heard no sound through them.

Also, I have Linux sitting on a completely separate hard drive, which I occassionally use. Booting up Linux I can hear sound. Whilst I know the drivers are completely different, what this does tell me is that my sound card is working and is not broken. Therefore, the problem must be with Windows.

I have tried reinstalling the sound card drivers until I am sick to death with it and nothing is working. Is this a Windows XP issue?
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2010, 10:18 AM #9
Have you tried System Restore?

Also are you trying the drivers from the CD or the Creative website?

You may also want to use Add & Remove Programs to uninstall the Creative drivers and mixers and maybe even all the Creative software, then run Driver Sweeper(free: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) to remove any left over Creative software, then reinstall the latest software from the Creative website.
Member with 51 posts.

26-Jun-2010, 02:37 PM #10
After I posted my reply that thought had entered my head.

Yes, I did try system restore, but it had no effect.

I tried both my original installation desk and the latest driver, which I download from Creative - nothing worked.

Each time I boot up my Windows XP O/S after a reinstall of the drivers, the speakers also boot up and I get the the usual hiss of power going to them. This to me from the past means they are okay, because as Windows itself finally goes to desktop you get the infamous music, and this always follows after the power hiss from the speakers.

Everything you have listed, I have done. I have completely removed every little trace of Creative from my system.right down to uninstalling the card itself!

Therefore, it comes down to two options - Windows or Creative? There must be something I can do to fix this?
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2010, 04:06 PM #11
Try another slot, Windows may treat it like a new device.

Also can you choose the Creative sound card as the default playback device from Sounds & Devices(I think thats what its called in XP) in the Control Panel? Or is it grayed out?
Member with 51 posts.

27-Jun-2010, 05:22 PM #12
Hi

I tried another slot, and this made no difference. Yes, XP recognises Creative as the playback device and it is not greyed out either.

It could be a problem with Windows XP O/S. Checking other applications, I am starting to see error messages. For example, launching my Hauppauge WinTV, this wouldn't start, and returned an unhandled exception, which it has never done before. I am starting to think if there are files either in XP that are corrupted or missing. Is there a way to check this and fix them without having to carry out a complete reinstall?

I tried sfc/scannow and this didn't show anything?
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2010, 06:29 PM #13
SFC is would be the way. There is a repair installation procedure for XP where you can reinstall of Windows over-top of the existing installation, it someones fails but it usually works and retains all your programs, settings, and data - but no guarantee it'll fix the issue.

Have you checked the computer for malware? Maybe do a scan with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and post the log.
Member with 51 posts.

02-Jul-2010, 07:46 PM #14
I have completely reinstalled windows xp this evening, and after installing the latest drivers from Creative I am still getting the same problem. There were no problems installing the latest drivers.

Therefore, I uninstalled the drivers, and the card and went to use the original drivers from the CD, this threw an error saying that "Sound Blaster Card not installed". After this, I made sure there was no drivers installed and card was installed and rebooted the machine. After root Windows found Media Controller and Creative Games Port, and it started to install the drivers from the CD, but this did not cure the problem.

This is really strange, because I have done everything possible to fix this problem and nothing is working. On my other Hard Drive I have Ubuntu Linux, which of course uses the same sound card and I am getting sound via that operating system. What is blocking the sound? There are no wires unplugged and nothing is loose.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2010, 08:18 PM #15
Thats odd that it works with Ubuntu and not Windows. If it wasn't for Ubuntu I'd just say the card is defective. I dunno.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!