Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Monitor keeps going to sleep as soon as it is turned on

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 01:30 AM #1
Solved: Monitor keeps going to sleep as soon as it is turned on
The monitor that I have been using for my desktop for the past few years has started to act funny in the last couple of days. As soon as I turn it on it acts just fine but still does not display anything, then after a few seconds the green power light turns orange like it went to sleep. Sometimes if I turn off the monitor for a little bit and then come back and turn it on it will work fine for a while. The video card is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (it was purchased from newegg just a few months back so I don't think there are any issues with the card) and I'm not sure what kind of monitor it is, but if you need that info I can get it for you. The video card has a VGA plug connected directly into it and then that VGA is converted to a DVI connection and then into the monitor. I replaced it with another old monitor and it seemed to have the same problem, although the second monitor was so old I can't say that it worked properly to begin with. The rest of my system specs are included in a text file attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Jerry Desktop CPUZ Diagnostic.txt (50.2 KB, 344 views)
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2010, 01:33 AM #2
If two monitors exhibit the same symptoms, it's unlikely the monitor is the problem. If the motherboard has integrated graphics, plug the monitor into that VGA connection on the motherboard and see what you get.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 01:49 AM #3
Well the experiment with the second monitor should just be ignored because I honestly think it's at the end of the line, but I will try using the VGA port on the motherboard and get a response posted by tomorrow (or technically today I guess) afternoon. Just in case the motherboard does not have a VGA port (it is rather old and I am not with the computer right now) what would you recommend trying?

Last edited by freegem; 22-Jun-2010 at 02:02 AM..
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2010, 02:55 AM #4
You motherboard is an ASRock P4VM890, and it does have integrated graphics. So try that and tell let me know what you get.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

22-Jun-2010, 10:23 PM #5
Well the monitor was working for most of the day and then it quit on me again so I tried plugging it into the motherboard but it didn't help. Are there any other possible solutions that don't involve buying a new monitor? hehe

Last edited by freegem; 23-Jun-2010 at 01:40 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM #6
Well I brought in a new Viewsonic monitor (about a year old) and it has the same problem, so using the motherboards VGA port did not work and using a new monitor did not work either. What could possibly be happening here? I have used this computer for years on a daily basis and I've never had this problem before.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

25-Jun-2010, 06:32 PM #7
I removed the hard drives, the video card and left only one stick of RAM in the computer. The monitor still does the same thing where it does not get a signal from the computer and it just acts like it's asleep. What could this indicate? Halp meh please I can't use my computer at all!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

28-Jun-2010, 05:52 PM #8
update on the monitor situation
When I did the above test I had the motherboard, the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, the CD drive and my modem card all connected. Trying to boot the computer this way gave me the same problem with the monitor not coming on, but then I removed the modem card and the CD drive and now the computer is booting normally and the monitor is working again. All I did was remove the modem card and CD drive and all of a sudden it's working? What could this mean? Eeveryone was telling me my motherboard was faulty but now it seems to be working fine, please help!!! I had already picked out a new motherboard + CPU + RAM and now I'm skeptical about buying any of it because I'm not sure if it'll fix my problem.

Edit: Update - Once the computer started booting normally I started putting in each component one by one, the video card was the last piece I put in and once I did put it in the monitor stopped coming on. We were previously having this problem even with the video card out of the computer, so I'm hoping that this is a sign that the video card is not the problem, as it is the newest part in the computer. I hope this helps!!!

Last edited by freegem; 28-Jun-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

03-Jul-2010, 07:38 PM #9
Finally working!
I came across another forum with several people having the same problem and the first post in the thread said "I know the solution. Unplug the power cord and hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on." This actually worked for me! I don't know if there is any real reasoning behind doing this, but it fixed my computer right away somehow. I hope other people having this very frustrating problem see this solution!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!