Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Convert 1TB EHDD from NTFS to FAT32

(!)

Member with 150 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2010, 10:19 PM #1
Convert 1TB EHDD from NTFS to FAT32
Hello everyone, today I bought a 1TB Western Digital Elements SE Portable Harddrive. It is in NTFS and I want to change it to FAT32. I dont care about losing any data because I dont HAVE any data on it in the first place because its new.

I want it in FAT32 because I have a Sony Bravia TV, a Sony Media Centre, and a Sony PS3, and they will only detect FAT32 drives, if I plugged in an NTFS one it wont come up at all, but FAT32 comes up just fine. I can imagine that most other devices such as stereos, DVD players and the like would only accept FAT32 as well so I want to keep up to speed.

I am running Windows 7, I have been trying things out myself, I've tried a couple of things like just the usual right clicking the drive in my computer and choosing format, then where the file system drop down list is it only has NTFS and exFAT.... I've tried using windows diskpart utility in CMD run as administrator, but that doesnt work, it comes up saying no drive selected or something along those lines, even though I selected it. I tried Partition Wizard Home Edition which I've used before, but when I select it and go to format, then choose FAT32, it will only allow me to make it 380GB.... what about the rest of the space? I tried Partition Magic despite compatibility issues with Windows 7, but when I go to choose the file system I want theres only NTFS, ext2 and ext3... I've read up online and tried things out for myself but half the posts I see dont make any sense to me and they all contradict each other so I thought I'd come back here and ask for myself.

How can I successfully format/convert my new portable harddrive from the NTFS to the FAT32 file system? I would also like to know of any problems or limitations there are, I know that FAT32 you can't put files larger than 4 GB on, that's just fine I dont know who has 4GB files they'd need to use anywhere haha, well I can imagine, but i don't have anything even near that size. Please let me know thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
26-Jun-2010, 03:02 AM #2
Member with 150 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 06:57 PM #3
Ah wow these sites actually helped me a lot, I was also wanting to know how to convert USB drives to NTFS also! Thanks a lot!
Member with 150 posts.

12-Jul-2010, 05:24 AM #4
Okay, I'm back, I know I said it worked, but that was with one harddrive... Now I have another, and for SOME reason it comes up with the disk is too big for FAT32... the other one worked... and I can't use Swissknife on Windows 7 for some reason they made it so that you have to pay for the newer version, so are there any other ways to format Harddrives to FAT32? :S
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jul-2010, 02:16 AM #5
convert NTFS to FAT32
Why not try to read a detail article about convert NTFS back to FAT32-- Safely Convert NTFS to FAT32 File System, I think you can very clear about it like me before.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!