Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Are larger hard drives more likely to crash?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2010, 12:25 PM #1
Are larger hard drives more likely to crash?
I work with a small business, and my boss is not terribly computer-savvy. Yesterday, she was having some issues with a corrupted profile and had to call in a computer guy because I was unavailable at the time.

The man owned his own small business, and I had never heard of him before. Before he left, (I ended up getting there after he already came) he was telling her about getting a secondary back-up drive for her computer.

He said that because her computer's internal hard drive is one terabyte, it is much more likely to crash.

Is this true? I'd never heard this before.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
26-Jun-2010, 12:56 PM #2
not happened to me big or small but as its size states if crashes then much worse as has more on it i guess
Computer Specs
Member with 11,272 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jun-2010, 01:04 PM #3
Then again, big or small, if the computer is used as a business computer (or personal for that matter) and there are files and documents on it that are critical or important having a second or even third image of the drive is important that way if the drive does die, then it would take just a short time to have the computer up ad runnig again back in business. As a smart member of this forum says "Data you don't hve at least two copiess of is data you don't care about!"
Member with 11,664 posts.

26-Jun-2010, 06:18 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehaveitall View Post
He said that because her computer's internal hard drive is one terabyte, it is much more likely to crash.
I believe that statement. Personally, I see many more problems with hard drives of 500GB and up than with drives less than 500GB.

I can't quantify that statement since I don't know the total number of drives below 500GB that were produced and the number of drives 500GB and above that were produced and what the failure rate was on each group.

I do know in my business I have 4 machines and 10 external hard drives. I don't use any hard drive more than 320GB and in the past 5 years I have only had one drive failure which happened to be a 160GB drive.

On external hard drives that come into my business with problems, by far more are 500GB or larger. On external drives that come in with problems about 60% of the problems involve the drive adapter, and about 40% the problems are the drives.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,332 posts.

26-Jun-2010, 07:07 PM #5
The required precision of the head and the closeness of the sectors on these larger drives could result in a higher chance of failure. Some of these drives also have more electronics; ie. dual processors, larger caches, dual heads, etc - these electronics could also increase failures - the more complex and more parts, the more chance of something going wrong. This is just speculation.

Also if the drive happens to be a Seagate(Barracuda 7200.11) or Maxtor(Not sure what line?) then they both runs of bad drives, maybe he saw one of those drives and thats why he made the comment - those drives should have their firmware update to prevent the known issue from occurring.
Member with 11,664 posts.

26-Jun-2010, 07:48 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
The required precision of the head and the closeness of the sectors on these larger drives could result in a higher chance of failure. Some of these drives also have more electronics; ie. dual processors, larger caches, dual heads, etc - these electronics could also increase failures - the more complex and more parts, the more chance of something going wrong. This is just speculation.

Also if the drive happens to be a Seagate(Barracuda 7200.11) or Maxtor(Not sure what line?) then they both runs of bad drives, maybe he saw one of those drives and thats why he made the comment - those drives should have their firmware update to prevent the known issue from occurring.
I believe your answer is more than speculation. Anytime you have more complexity with any component, the greater the risk of failure.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crash, hard drive

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!