Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Accessing files and programs on 2nd HD

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: ppearce43
01-Jul-2010, 11:30 AM #1
Accessing files and programs on 2nd HD
Just bought a new computer. Old HP had IDE HD. I'd like to access some of the programs (e.g., Photoshop Elements 4) and files (mostly family pictures) that are on that old HD.
Is that possible?
A friend suggested a HD enclosure, but when I called the mfr. they said that you cannot access programs from the old HD, but files were ok.
I'm running Win7 Home Premium on the new computer, the old computer was running XP.
I really would hate to lose all those old programs. The older computer still runs fine, so I could hook it up and run the programs from there, then switch to my new computer, but what a pain that would be in my case.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.
Phil
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,807 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jul-2010, 11:32 AM #2
The manufacturer is right, accessing data files is fine but programs would need to be reinstalled to work correctly. The programs should be reinstalled from the original CD's.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

01-Jul-2010, 11:36 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
The manufacturer is right, accessing data files is fine but programs would need to be reinstalled to work correctly. The programs should be reinstalled from the original CD's.
Thank you for your answer.
I do have the original CD's (compatability issue trying to install them on Win 7/new machine).
How would I go about reinstalling them? Through the DVD/CD player on the new machine?
Computer Specs

01-Jul-2010, 11:44 AM #4
Yes, you'd have to reinstall then via the CD\DVD on the new computer. You may be able to install or run them in compatibility mode if they are older programs.

Compatibility Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ion-of-windows

Last edited by Triple6; 01-Jul-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

01-Jul-2010, 11:54 AM #5
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you'd have to reinstall then via the CD\DVD on the new computer. You may be able to install or run them in compatibility mode if they are older programs.

Compatibility Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ion-of-windows
Oh. You mean to reinstall them ON the new computer's hard drive. No, I can't do that, I get an incompatability error message. As far as I can tell, there is no Compatability Mode on Windows 7 Home Premium.
Would installing a virtual box on my new computer help? I'm getting the impression that once you switch to a PC with a new OS, then all applications on the older PC are lost unless there is this Compatability Mode built into the particular version of the newer OS. If that's the case, I should have gotten Win 7 Ultimate, I suppose. Too late now.
Any other suggestions really appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited by Triple6; 01-Jul-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Computer Specs

01-Jul-2010, 12:30 PM #6
Compatibility mode is in the Home versions too. Please check this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ion-of-windows
You may have to run the installer in Compatibility Mode.

You may be thinking of XP Mode, that is only available in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise. You can update to those versions at any time so its not too late, but thats ONLY for XP Mode NOT Compatibility Mode which is in all versions.

If the programs are really old then you may need to purchase a newer version or find a free alternative.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!