Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop turns off when unplug, battery 100%

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

Experience: I know stuff, I think
04-Jul-2010, 04:33 PM #1
Solved: Laptop turns off when unplug, battery 100%
I have a gateway m-6851. I bought this battery 2 months ago. This just started happening today. My laptop is running fine, I unplug it to move it. I assumed it went to battery power, but nope. It turned off. This happens 100% of the time. I've tried reseating the battery twice. Windows 7 reads it at 100% with no problems. any ideas?

I don't know that much about hardware, but is there maybe some setting thats messed up. Such as a setting that tells windows to switch to battery, or try to switch to battery, because windows reads the battery just fine.
Member with 1,312 posts.

04-Jul-2010, 05:34 PM #2
Check your power settings to see what Windows is set to do, when the AC power is unplugged.
I can't imagine a setting that would turn your computer off entirely, but perhaps your display/hard disk..etc, are shutting off when the laptop is unplugged? (I sorta doubt that could be the problem, since the computer never wakes up)

If not that, it could be a battery issue. How long does your battery last usually?
Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

04-Jul-2010, 09:00 PM #3
I forgot to add a sympton, it does not turn on without the power plugged in. This is a new battery, I got it last month, usually lasts bout 80 mins. When the computer is turned on it tells me th battery is fully charged.
Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

04-Jul-2010, 11:54 PM #4
well, its fixed, i have no idea what happened or what fixed it. There are only 2 things i did differently, i played a high graphics game...and I made sure the wall plug was really in there, when i exited the game windows showed by battery at 40%......now that I typed this, I can make one more guess....My battery was dead, and somehow there was a setting that got fixed so instead of windows or my laptop thinking it was charged and not charging it, it realized it needed to be charged, im marking this as solved for now
Computer Specs
Member with 5,117 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2010, 12:05 AM #5
Did you let the battery charge for at least 12 hours before you tried using it? New batteries usually need a charging time before using.
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 01:20 AM #6
yep, as I said earlier it was working great form a whole month, also I tried my backup battery which was fully charged, that didnt work either
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
100%, battery, laptop, turn-off

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!