Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

eee pc battery won't charge

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

08-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM #1
eee pc battery won't charge
I have an eee pc netbook (Windows XP Home) and can't get the battery to charge. At this point I can't even turn the machine on. The A/C adapter plugs in fine and the blue light on the adapter stays on. Every so often when I plug the adapter in a message box will pop-up saying I'm running on battery mode and sometimes if I giggle the cord, the message box will say a/c mode. My first thought is that there is possibly a short in the cord (?). This is my first laptop, so I don't have a lot of experience with batteries. Could it be possible I need a new battery? I've had this for a couple of years now. Normally when I use it, I run it plugged in so as not to run the battery down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
BenTechMac BenTechMac is offline BenTechMac has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 300 posts.

Experience: Desktop Support Tech.
08-Jul-2010, 06:53 PM #2
Hello,

Two things come to mind.

It may be the DC socket connector that you plug the charger into. (especially because you say it changes when you wiggle it)

Also, have you tried running the computer without the battery plugged in, with just the charging adapter, to see if that works? That would resolve a faulty battery question.

Ben
Member with 6 posts.

09-Jul-2010, 08:36 AM #3
Is the DC socket something that is easily replaceable? Both good suggestions. I'll try both and let you know how I make out.

Thanks!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: a+ n+
09-Jul-2010, 09:57 AM #4
This is usually the socket coming loose from the motherboard due to plugging the power cable too much/ hard. It is quite common. They don't cost much to buy but laptops are hard as Hell to open up :/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!