Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Sound..."the current audio device is not supported by the application"

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 03:03 PM #1
No Sound..."the current audio device is not supported by the application"
Ok, my sound just stopped working out of nowhere,

my default volume panel on the taskbar had vanished and the icon for my "creative" volume panel was still there, but when i clicked on it a message came up "there is no supported audio device available. you need to close the application. click OK to close the application now."

So i did some reading and some people suggested i clear my drivers and reinstall.

I installed my motherboard chipset and audio drivers,

now after doing this when i start up a small box with a yellow triangle and exclamation point in it appears. its labeled "Volume panel". my sound returned for a few days but has cut out again after i turned my comp off. when i click on my Creative volume control i get a similar error message thats says "the current audio device is not supported by the application, do you want to select another audio device now" clicking yes brings up a box with one item in the drop down menu "Follow window default".

I could really use some help trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer. i guess i could try and clear my drivers and reinstall them again. but will the problem just come back in a few days again? what could be causing this???

system info

Dell XPS XPS720

intel Core 2 duo CPU
E6850 @ 3.00ghz
3.00 GHz, 2.00GB of ram

i was told to do a scan with a program called "Everest" this is the system info i got from it also.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (7 x 429)
Motherboard Name Dell Dell XPS720
Motherboard Chipset Unknown (i think it's nVidia SMBus) im not sure though
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type Phoenix (08/23/07)
Communication Port RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM3)
Communication Port RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (YH800754B196)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SigmaTel Audio
Computer Specs
Member with 4,002 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 03:27 PM #2
which audio driver did u d/l u mention creative in your post....but under everest it identifies your audio as sigmatel???

there are drivers for each of these http://support.dell.com/support/down...nConsent=False

17-Jul-2010, 04:44 PM #3
yep thats where i got the drivers i installed before, and it seemed to work. but when i turned my comp on today it was out again.

ok when i install the driver for sigmatel it installs fine but still no sound and the same errors occur.

if i try to install the drivers for Creative its says "setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program."

so i tried to install the appliacation from the creative site but im not entirely sure what one im suppose to install.

usually i get an interface like this one

when i try to bring this up i get the error
"the current audio device is not supported by the application, do you want to select another audio device now"

should i try to clears everything out again and start from the scratch?
i must have screwed up somewhere. how would you recommend doing this?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,002 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 05:07 PM #4
.......... punch in your service tag on the dell site and see what audio aplication it was shipped with

17-Jul-2010, 05:28 PM #5
ok when i use my service tag two drivers show up under the audio tab

creative labs - driver
applies to :
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D)

SIGMATEL - driver
applies to:
STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

when i install the sigmatel driver their are no errors, but when i try to install the creative one its says.
"setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program."

its say
CT602 Card, Multi-Media, Audio, SB0467 Windows Vista OS
i dont run vista can that still be right?

Last edited by statrick; 17-Jul-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4,002 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 05:32 PM #6
well, clean out all the audio drivers, then it looks like u have sigmatel audio............d/l and install the sigma

17-Jul-2010, 07:18 PM #7
Ok here is what i did.

i cleared out my drivers with "driver sweeper" which which only detected "Creative" drivers that were currently on my system. so i cleared them.

restarted my comp and upon start up a small Command prompt box, with the black background and white texts, labeled "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" came up

and its said something along the lines of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe y/n" inside the box. i have no clue what this means so i X'd it out.

i installed the SIGMATEL drivers with no luck on sound.

i then tried to go to CREATIVE wed site where they have a auto update program for their products, but when i try to update it tell me that my product is corrupted.

i have no clue what the problem could be. im thinking it has something to do with the Creative software being corrupted but i can't seem to get if off my comp. i don't know

17-Jul-2010, 08:58 PM #8
i was able to figure it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was able to get my hands on a load disk for CREATIVE mediasource and was able to uninstall the corrupted data and reinstall through the disk... i have sound now and all the start up errors are gone. although my sound is a little different in quality but its better than no sound... Thanks you so much for putting in the time to help me out. im and very thankful this is a great community/site
Computer Specs
Member with 4,002 posts.

17-Jul-2010, 09:54 PM #9
thats weird, everything was pointing towards the sigmatel audio.............. but glad u got it sorted!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!