Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

laptop to tv connection

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

25-Jul-2010, 01:20 PM #1
Unhappy laptop to tv connection
so i connected my sony vaio laptop to tv using vga cable and it worked for about 2 weeks and today when i tried to plug it in again the sound came out but the the tv screen was blank, I don't know if it is my laptop's problem or tv, because the tv says it has signal so, the laptop should be connected and it worked before so it's not any setting problem, so i don't know where everything went worng. any help? is there any adjustment that i should do to the tv monitor? but it workd before so i don't know if that was a problem. and the vga cord is brand new so it's not the cord either any help?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

Experience: Gadget Guru
25-Jul-2010, 02:20 PM #2
Have you tried the laptop's FUNCTION keys? Holding the Fn key and pressing the CRT/LCD key will turn on and off the monitor function to your television.

There is also times where the video card/chip in a computer will require rebooting to get them to function (I get this issue all the time with the PC I have attached to my Toshiba television). In your case, I might suggest rebooting the laptop with the CABLE DISCONNECTED to the television, then CONNECTING IT once it is fully booted up. This might take a few attempts, depending on what the setting that the CRT/LCD Function switch is in.

A-N

25-Jul-2010, 02:52 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknorth View Post
In your case, I might suggest rebooting the laptop with the CABLE DISCONNECTED to the television, then CONNECTING IT once it is fully booted up. This might take a few attempts, depending on what the setting that the CRT/LCD Function switch is in.

A-N
this might be a silly question but by reboot do u mean like a complete reboot or something else? (sorry not good with tech)
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

25-Jul-2010, 03:38 PM #4
Turn computer off - turn computer on = reboot.

A-N

25-Jul-2010, 05:55 PM #5
i tried all that .. may be it's my tv but it did work few days ago so don't know where everything went wrong..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,095 posts.

26-Jul-2010, 01:15 AM #6
Well did you try the function key on your laptop? Since the video jack and the audio jacks are separate on the computer to the TV, that is why you hear things but don't see anything - the video can be shut off using the Fn and the CRT/LCD buttons on your keyboard. In most cases, this accidently get tripped while typing away, since the Fn key is so close to the space bar, and in most cases, the CRT/LCD key is somewhere near the &/7 key.

With the computer ON and hooked up to the television -

1 - HOLD the Fn key down (it acts as a manual SHIFT key, so to operate its functions, it must be held down)

2 - Press the CRT/LCD key (If you don't have a key marked this way, look for one that has the images of 2 screens on it - one showing a blank frame, and the other a solid 'lit' frame). This is a multiple action switch, so you may have to press it multiple times. The actions should be -

- FIRST PRESS - Switches ON the external jack sending an image to the TV, while also leaving the computer's monitor on as well.

- SECOND PRESS - Feed to the TV on the external jack should continue, but now the computer's monitor is shut off (It can sometimes be distracting to have two monitors showing the same image side-by-side).

- THIRD PRESS - Turns computer's monitor back on, and shuts off feed to the TV.

Mind you, this order is not the same with all laptops, and in most resent models, the CRT/LCD key does not do anything if the computer doesn't 'see' anything attached to the external jack.

A-N

26-Jul-2010, 11:01 PM #7
I tried what you said but it din't work may be I did something wrong, while I switched off the computer the "window's is shutting down" logo came up on the tv (but the laptop monitor never appeared) so after i pluged it back in it didn't work, I'll try it again and see if it works. between thanks atleast there is some kind of improvement
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
laptop to hdtv, not working, vga cable

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!