Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Beeping Noise and No Display

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Jul-2010, 12:56 PM #1
Beeping Noise and No Display
My main gaming computer has given me the following problems. When I turn it on there is no image displayed on the screen. (I have tested the monitor with other systems it is fine) and I hear a series of short beeps which lasts ~5 seconds and then the computer appears to be running (fans spinning lights on but no sounds from the speakers or images on the monitor). I don't believe the problem could be my video cable due to the beeping noises and lack of start up music playing over the speakers. Thus I assume that the problem lies with my video card or the motherboard. Am I right to make this assumption? The only major hardware change in that computer was an upgrade to the video card, last year, and a new sound card, at the beginning of this year. I also cannot think of any software I have downloaded recently that could be causing problems. I still have the old video card so should I try switching it with the current one? Would that help? What should I do? What else could cause this problem?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
31-Jul-2010, 01:15 PM #2
first job is to get into the bios if you can not because of monitor then reset bios , remove csmos battery for a minite or use jumpers
asumption correct but would still reset first ,2nd remove vid card and use mobo graphics then onto removing ram etc
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Aug-2010, 09:02 AM #3
Whoah hang on, first thing to do is identify what those beeps are indicating.

What motherboard are you using? Then we can identify what BIOS it uses and what those beeps indicate (see example beep code reference here >> http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml ).
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.

01-Aug-2010, 02:11 PM #4
My mother's computer is having this exact same problem, although nothing new has been put in in years. It's a five second long beep that continues repeating over and over (more than three times). Last time this happened, we let it sit for about three days then when we tried it again, it worked for a couple of months with no problems. It's an emachine with Celuron processor.
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Aug-2010, 02:53 PM #5
Jendra, as it's a branded machine it will have a model number on a sticker somewhere. Check each side for this sticker and provide any identifiable information that you can, this can be used to track down more relevant information and diagnose the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!