Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is there any way to change the aspect ratio of a monitor?

(!)

Member with 15 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 03:31 PM #1
Is there any way to change the aspect ratio of a monitor?
I have a 1920x1080 monitor (Acer H233H) and my video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5800. Some of the games I have aren't the big-name, commercial titles that are made for higher resolutions, and their max resolution is 800x600 or 640x480. I understand that loss of picture quality is inevitable when full-screened, but the games are automatically stretching themselves to fill the entire monitor when I click on full screen. I can change my monitor's resolution but the aspect ratio doesn't change (if I set it to 800x600, the icons get bigger but the picture is still stretched to fit the entire screen, causing it to look horribly distorted). I wouldn't mind if there's a way to set it to a smaller resolution and fill the sides of the screen with black bars, but I'm not sure how.
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Aug-2010, 03:34 PM #2
Might check the games and see if there is
a run in full screen or run in windowed mode
selection.
Run it in windowed mode,not full screen
then adjust the window size.
Account Closed with 3,148 posts.

Experience: Beginnerd/Mensan -
13-Aug-2010, 05:08 PM #3
Change the RATIO??? You mean change the value of x (width) WITHOUT changing y (height)?

I think you cannot do that, without hacking the driver module's code. Some programs, like Media Player Classic, allow you to change aspect ratio, but they're still PRESET ratios - 16:9, 4:3, etc.

If you're wanting only to change display resolution, I think leroys has the right answer there...
Member with 15 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 06:09 PM #4
Okay, thanks for the replies. Most of the games in question don't allow me to drag the window to increase the size (though one of them does). Also, that would still leave my desktop in the background which can be distracting, though I can work around that problem by opening a blank page behind the game. Unfortunately for me, complex solutions that involve hacking are definitely out of the picture because I don't want to mess with things that I don't understand. I take it that there's basically no other way to increase the size/fullscreen a 4:3 game on a 16:9 monitor?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
13-Aug-2010, 06:16 PM #5
you should be able to accomplish what you want through the Catalyst Control Center. While you can't change the aspect ratio of the monitor you can change how it displays non native resolutions (if you want what I think you do its called scaling). Stretched, centered, or aspect maintained. Have a read of the link I'm posting it gives pretty good instructions on how to get those settings options to show so you can adjust them how you want.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...PUScaling.aspx
Member with 15 posts.

13-Aug-2010, 07:59 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqueMist View Post
you should be able to accomplish what you want through the Catalyst Control Center. While you can't change the aspect ratio of the monitor you can change how it displays non native resolutions (if you want what I think you do its called scaling). Stretched, centered, or aspect maintained. Have a read of the link I'm posting it gives pretty good instructions on how to get those settings options to show so you can adjust them how you want.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...PUScaling.aspx
Yes, that's exactly it! Thanks very much, I know how to do it now.
Account Closed with 3,148 posts.

Experience: Beginnerd/Mensan -
13-Aug-2010, 08:19 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindKILLER View Post
I take it that there's basically no other way to increase the size/fullscreen a 4:3 game on a 16:9 monitor?
Yes you can, and it sounds like you did.

Sometimes when you do this, the image gets SLIGHTLY distorted. Like if it was a movie, some chicks might suddenly look like good candidates for Nutri-SCAM
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!