Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SATA to USB. Cant open old hard drive.

(!)

Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2010, 11:11 AM #1
SATA to USB. Cant open old hard drive.
Hi there, recently my old hard drive on my laptop started dying, (Fujitsu MHV2080 BH PL - 80gb) so i went out and bought a replacement which is also a upgrade from 80 to 250gb (Samsung HM250HI).

After installing the new hard drive internal into my laptop i have since reinstalled all the major software like OS (XP professional), firewall, anti-virus and re patched windows to SP3.

Now that everything is working fine i went out and bought a SATA to USB to connect my old dying hard drive to my laptop to retrieve some files i would like to keep, photos, software, movies etc, but seem to be having issues.

The SATA to USB im using is VICI PRO-91, think its chinese or japanese cant read any of the instructions, it also came with a small cd, but doesnt seem to work, think its for Windows 98, either way, i connected the usb to my laptop, i hear a sound click so my computer recognises some hardware is connected, then Autoplay starts, looks like all the information from the old drive is reading but then it freezes, always on different places, i have tried numerous times, always freezing on different locations.

The SATA to usb has 2 usb connectors, i have tried just plugging in one, and both usbs to my laptop but still always freezes somewhere in the autoplay.

I can see the drive in "my computer" i can click in it and see alot of the folders, but sometimes it just freezes, im guessing if all the information hasnt processed and i click into a folder where that information hasnt been processed in Autoplay it freezes, either way it eventually freezes.

Now i was wondering because that hard drive was my old hard drive with OS installed, is it conflicting with new one, also when i try open my old folder from the old drive (administrator) it says access denied. Is it because i had a password to log into that windows that the drive is not opening here?

I have no problem with small usb flash drives, 4bg etc.

Im stuck, have tried everything, any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Laptop im using: GIGABYTE W551n.

19-Aug-2010, 07:39 AM #2
So nobody here know's any solutions................

19-Aug-2010, 10:22 PM #3
Bump.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2010, 08:53 AM #4
I can't tell you why freezing is ocurring other than if the drive was defective it may be freezing because of damage to the controller board.

To open the folder where access is denied, you need to take ownership of the folder as explained here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!