Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer screen has random flickering pixels-- help?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Sep-2010, 01:32 PM #1
Computer screen has random flickering pixels-- help?
Not sure if this is a video card problem...

Here are screenshots of what I'm talking about:

As you can see there are random pixels that flicker on the screen ALL THE TIME. Meaning it doesn't just happen when I'm watching video or something like that. It starts as soon as the computer turns on. And the problem seems to be getting progressively worse.

-- I have a Sony Vaio laptop
-- It is 2 years old
-- 3 gig of RAM
-- The problem just started 1 week ago

Thus far I have tried:

-- Doing virus scans (none found)
-- Turning computer on and off

Those things did not work.

1. Can you tell me how to fix this?
2. Can you at least tell me what's wrong with it so I can tell a Tech to fix it?

Thanks.
Member with 50 posts.

Experience: Computers,hardware
06-Sep-2010, 06:51 AM #2
Check the monitor VGA cables are not lose both ends.
Then try updating your video display drivers.
It may not be the monitor it could be a problem with the video card if the above does not help.
Try the monitor on a friends PC.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,228 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 07:42 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagale View Post
Check the monitor VGA cables are not lose both ends.
Then try updating your video display drivers.
It may not be the monitor it could be a problem with the video card if the above does not help.
Try the monitor on a friends PC.
Slight problem with that response .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbglm View Post
-- I have a Sony Vaio laptop

To the OP, this is likely to be one of two things

1) The LCD dieing
2) Possible hardware problem with the graphics card, I would suspect this one more.

- You say the problem happens all the time, do you get it on the boot screens before you get to Windows?
- Can you attach an external monitor to the laptop and see if the problem occurs there? If it does its your Graphics card, if it doesn't it's your LCD.

If the graphics card is on its way out you might be buggered, they normally can't be replaced (not easily / cheaply anyway) and it may be more cost efficient to get a whole new laptop.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2010, 01:42 PM #4
Quote:
- You say the problem happens all the time, do you get it on the boot screens before you get to Windows?
It's hard to tell for sure (because the backgrounds are solid colors) but...

It seems that the flickering does NOT occur on the Boot Up screens, or the Windows login screen. The flickering seems to begin immediately as soon as Windows has opened and taken me to the Desktop. After that, it's all flickering, all the time specially when I am browsing the internet or watching video (whether YouTube or video from my computer).

I know it's not a lot to go on, but any further advice would be greatly appreciated...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,228 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 02:16 PM #5
No problem, any info is better than no info.

If it definately doesn't happen during boot, only when you get into Windows, that would more likely indicate a driver problem rather than hardware, or it could be temperature related and the graphics card shows faults when it warms up.

Have you done any driver updates since you got the machine, if so where did you get them from?

To get an idea of temperatures download and install HWMonitor. When it is installed run it and see what temperatures are being shown (Min, Max and current) then either post a screenshot or just the temps on here (current and max), then run some programs and see if the temps increase, also look to see if the problem gets worse as it works harder / heats up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!