Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I backup drivers before formatting?

(!)

Member with 239 posts.

Experience: Beginner/Intermediate
06-Sep-2010, 08:56 AM #1
How do I backup drivers before formatting?
Both of my laptops are going to be formatted. Before I take them in, I want to make sure I am doing everything that needs to be done.

I have backed up my .pst, data, pics and music. The only other thing I know that I should do is backup my drivers. Searching the web, there is a lot of software I can buy, but there must be another (easy) way which I am hoping you will tell me.

One thing I am worried about though, is what if all of the problems I have been having with both computers are because I messed up the drivers by doing wrong updates or too many of them? (You guru's just showed me how to update drivers - so I will do it correctly in the future)

Please help this aging vegetable........
Member with 239 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 08:57 AM #2
PS I use iTunes - is that a separate backup?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,350 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 12:35 PM #3
Go to the site of whomever made your laptop. Download the drivers you need ie chipset/mb driver, sound, nic, video, and touchpad. Either burn them to a CD or put them on a usb.
When done with the os install, then install drivers in this order;
1 Update to latest service pack for xp sp3, vista sp2, win7 does not have a sp yet
2 Install chipset driver
3 Install sound, nic, etc as necessary
4 Install video driver

If all is well, then activate windows and make a backup image of the clean install. Save this on an external drive, NAS, network share, etc. If you ever need a "clean" install again, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image and have a clean install with drivers, windows activation, etc.

Once done with the image file, install your anti-virus software and go to windows update. Do all critical updates. Rerun win update since some updates may not appear until others are done.
Member with 239 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 12:48 PM #4
Great! Thanks for this.

One problem I do have is with the 8 year old XP pro laptop. Samsung does not have the drivers on it anymore.

Do you know of a safe place to get them, and if you do, should I install everyone they have for my laptop?

Samsung Model #NM40 TPOQEB/SUK (On the computer itself, it just has M40)
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

06-Sep-2010, 12:57 PM #5
Member with 239 posts.

07-Sep-2010, 04:03 AM #6
Wow....I never saw that! Thank you too Frank4d!

Now to get to work. Fingers x'd that I don't mess something up..........

I will leave this thread open until all is done just in case I need you people.

Thanks for now.
Member with 239 posts.

08-Sep-2010, 10:15 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4d View Post

Do you think there will be a problem? I have XP Professional and the drivers on this link is for XP.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,477 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2010, 11:41 AM #8
You should have no problems. You say you are taking them in to be reformatted and have the OS's reinstalled? You could download the drivers, put them on a CD for each respective laptop and take the CDs with the laptops to whom ever is doing the task for you.
Member with 239 posts.

09-Sep-2010, 02:21 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyjay View Post
You should have no problems. You say you are taking them in to be reformatted and have the OS's reinstalled? You could download the drivers, put them on a CD for each respective laptop and take the CDs with the laptops to whom ever is doing the task for you.
OK, will do. Should I download every driver they have for my computer? I seem to remember HP had many more drivers than I could find.
Member with 239 posts.

14-Sep-2010, 05:26 AM #10
link did not work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4d View Post
Hi Frank4d,
Formatted okay, but when we tried to install the drivers from the link, the computer crashed. We then decided to format again and spent ages looking for drivers for the NM40, but there were slightly different letters or numbers and we were not sure which ones to install.

Then the most amazing thing happened; we saw there was another disc that came with the Samsung. You got it - the drivers were included!!!!

Now all is well with the computer, and it is running like a colt......and I am 'a very happy newbie geekette !

Thank you all for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!