Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Using widescreen TV as monitor but unable to set resolution to match 16:9 display

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

11-Sep-2010, 02:52 AM #1
Question Using widescreen TV as monitor but unable to set resolution to match 16:9 display
I am trying to hook my Averatec laptop (3260) to a Vizio HDTV (M420NV) using the VGA input on the TV (no HDMI out on laptop). The picture comes up clear, but my only options for the screen resolutions are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200. All these are 4:3 display so I have these wide black bars on both sides of the TV.

I intend to use the laptop to show Netflix onto the TV, but with the resolution issue, the movie becomes very tiny (given the TV is not huge in the first place). If anyone can show me how to change the resolution to 1920x1080 (recommended by the TV manual), it'd be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,715 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Sep-2010, 05:40 AM #2
You could try updating the graphic drivers but it might just the gpu does not support 16.9 resulution
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,544 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Sep-2010, 08:39 AM #3
I have a similar set up. I use the aspect setting of the LCD TV to go full screen from computer image . I'm runnin a 32" LCD TV at 800x600, mainly so I can read the screen from across the room when browsing web. Movies show just fine at this setting. My connection is to an MCE XP and use a VGA to HDMI cable to connect computer to TV with separate sound patch cords.

In normal TV mode I have 4 different screen aspect settings Normal-Wide-Zoom-Full with TV remote; when using HDMI mode with computer it only offers Normal-Full. Normal has the black bands on either side - full is what it says.

Hope this works for you.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
averatec, resolution problem, tv as monitor, widescreen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!