Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't get PC online

(!)

Member with 30 posts.

22-Sep-2010, 08:41 AM #1
Angry Can't get PC online
I have a Dell PC running XP home that won't connect to the internet and I've done just about everything I can think of to fix it without formatting the PC and starting over. Here is what I know:

• I am dealing with a wired connection and the problem PC is a desktop computer and the NIC is integrated onto the motherboard. I also removed the router from the chain to help narrow down where the problem is occurring.
  • If I plug my laptop directly to the modem with the same Ethernet cable, everything works fine, so I know itís the desktop PC and not the modem or the Ethernet cable.
  • The NIC will ping itself at the 127.0.0.1 address
  • I've reset or replaced Winsock and NETSH
  • I manually input good and working IP information that my laptop obtained by the ISP into the non-working PC to see if maybe DHCP wasn't working or to see if DNS was the problem - in every case I cannot ping "google.com", or google's IP address, or any other IP address.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the on board integrated NIC.
  • Then, I added a second, completely different PCI NIC and after it auto installed itself, it too displayed the same problem, which leads me to believe that its not the NIC that isn't working, its Windows.
Without formatting and reinstalling Windows, is there anything else I can try?
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Sep-2010, 09:42 AM #2
Ok, first of all, I would make sure that you have the motherboard latest CHIPSET (AND NIC if available) drivers installed FROM THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE.

Secondly, does a LAN connection show in "network connections" in control panel, if so your driver is installed correctly.

Thirdly, have you got any (*cough) "security software" installed like Norton, if so, remove it (alsong as you have the disk / app to re-instal - failing this just disable it!).

Next, go back to "network connections", right click (RC) your LAN connection, properties, then check TCP /IPv4 settings (should be obtain automatically usually).

And lastly, Start, run, cmd (enter). Then type, ipconfig /release (enter), then ipconfig /flushdns (enter), then ipconfig /renew. Then ipconfig /all, then post back what info this displays.

5ndr5
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
nic, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!