Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer does not recognize keyboard or mouse

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Oct-2010, 09:29 AM #16
Thanks Wino. From the responses I am getting, it sounds like my USB KB and Mouse ought to be operating fine. The mouse (as I said) does light up, but the cursor does not move. The keyboard (plugged into a USB I tested with the mouse to be sure it lit up) still shows "keyboard failure" on boot. So it sounds like I need to tell this client that she needs to get a technician to repair/replace the USB ports, because the computer is not recognizing them??
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,604 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Oct-2010, 09:53 AM #17
Do you have a USB thumb drive you can test USB ports? If it's recognized and usable, nothing wrong with the USB ports. It would be rare (not impossible) to lose all the USB ports - I'd be more suspect of the mouse & KB.
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 10:36 AM #18
Sure, I have a flash drive--but how do I test it if the computer cannot get past the user interface, and I cannot boot to the BIOS because the keyboard will not work? The strange thing is that there are 3 USB ports that will light up the mouse, but they will not allow either the mouse or KB to function.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2010, 11:10 AM #19
OOPS, my bad. If machine can boot all the way to desk top when you plug the flash drive it should show up as new drive in a window or show it is ready to use (I'm presuming you mean desktop when you say User Interface). I'd also boot (if possible) without mouse or KB attached and plug them after full boot one at a time to see if recognized.

Still suspect mouse/KB. If you can get a mouse to work you would be able to use the on board Windows KB in start>programs>accessories>screen keyboard. Or vice versa, use the on board keyboard to navigate without mouse.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
Computer Specs
Member with 700 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 11:31 AM #20
You can test the keyboard and mouse in the computer you are using to get online. The other thing I can think of is a wireless mouse. I have a Microsoft wireless mouse and the thumb drive contains the drivers and automatically installs them or it triggered the laptop to install existing drivers. My machine is 2007 and the other one was 2005 or 06.
This may also be true of wireless keyboards but you'd have to be sure about the USB's being ok first.
Otherwise I agree with resetting CMOS as a possibility of fixing the recognition problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 11:51 AM #21
Thanks for the tips. The problem is it does NOT boot to the desktop. It boots to the User Accounts page, and there is no way to get past that. I'm not positive it has wireless, but may try a wireless mouse for the heck of it to see what happens, and try the onboard KB--I wasn't aware of this. Very cool!
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2010, 12:08 PM #22
I just ran across this program trying to find a way to boot with no mouse or KB. Seems interesting if you can get the problematic PC connected to the internet and access it with the program (it's free):

http://www.tightvnc.com/
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 12:42 PM #23
Here are my latest results. Used the wireless mouse. No luck. Still cannot get past the user accounts page. Plug the USB into any of 7 ports, nothing happens. Plug it in before booting, cannot boot at all. I looked up resetting the CMOS. It looks like you remove the battery and the CMOS plus for a couple of minutes, then replace them. Any guarantee this would cause the computer to recognize the USB ports?

The download is interesting. I could use an ethernet cable to connect to my router and try it--I'll see if my client wants me to try this. I'm thinking all this is more trouble than it's worth, but . . .
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2010, 01:21 PM #24
No guarantee on the CMOS reset, but worth a try. I had a flash BIOS update go south once and figured I had a new door stop, but removing CMOS battery and reinserting cleared the screw up. It's worth a try - in fact I would replace with a new battery while at it (usually a CR2032 and cheap).
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 02:17 PM #25
I'll see if the client wants me to do this. Could be a cool new thing to learn (I'm generally a software and network setup consultant). I downloaded the tightvnc and tried to use it. Connected the bad computer to my router with ethernet. Unfortunately, my computer couldn't access it, and you have to be able to get into it to give permission with the program in order for it to work. So, no luck. I uninstalled, because my TrendMicro was going crazy with warnings when I downloaded it--I figured I didn't want it sitting on my computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,318 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 08:09 PM #26
I would just like to point out a few things :-

You can't use a wireless mouse or keyboard if the dongle plugs into a USB port and the USB ports aren't working.

You can't run TightVNC without an OS so if you can't run an OS you can't run TightVNC.
For TightVNC to work software needs to run on both PCs.

You can't install drivers for anything if you can't run the OS first.

You can't make an ethernet connection to a computer that isn't running an OS.

Like I said before try resetting the CMOS, no guarantee it will do any good but you've got nothing to lose, if that doesn't help I think you're SOL.

Oh and if it won't even boot with a USB device (keyboard ?) connected there is something seriously wrong.
Member with 128 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 11:02 PM #27
I have seen this oddly many times before on older dells or on units that had a specific infection removed from MalwareBytes. This dose not seem like a hardware issue at all to me. I would check the uper lower filters for the mouse and keyboard. I bet you $100 that they are not set properly. Does not explain the not loading with a USB device plugged in though.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,060 posts.

12-Oct-2010, 04:49 AM #28
Quote:
You can't use a wireless mouse or keyboard if the dongle plugs into a USB port and the USB ports aren't working.
Not quite true always. I have a wireless PS2 desk set
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

12-Oct-2010, 07:47 AM #29
Interesting comments, thanks. The only USB item that prevented the OS from loading was the wireless mouse. It always loads with the USB keyboard or mouse plugged in. The problem is that I cannot get past the User Accounts screen because I have no way of selecting a user. I do not understand what "checking the uper lower filters for the mouse and keyboard" means. How would I do that? Of course, you are right that I could not either load driver software or run TightVNC--not because there is no OS running, but because I cannot get to it without choosing a User Account. The TightVNC requires me to approve the connection on the target computer, and obviously I cannot do that. I proposed to the client that I try to reset the CMOS to see if the USB would work, and she says she probably will ask me to try that. On many older computers, I have found that one or more USB ports no longer work--but this one does power the mouse with at least three of them. It lights up, but just will not move the cursor. I'm hopeful that resetting the BIOS and CMOS will cause the computer to recognize the USB connections. Am I on the right track?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,060 posts.

12-Oct-2010, 10:26 AM #30
It might, and being that it has no PS2 ports, one would expect the default to enable them in and recognise USB keyboard use in the BIOS.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
keyboard, mouse

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!