Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

computer does not recognize keyboard or mouse

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2010, 09:15 AM #1
computer does not recognize keyboard or mouse
I have an interesting dilemma with a client that has me stumped. Hope someone has some ideas for me. She dropped off a Dell Inspiron desktop, about five years old, for cleaning, etc. No keyboard, mouse or monitor! I plugged in a monitor from another computer--works fine. We scared up a USB mouse (Logitech) and three different keyboards. The USB keyboard plugs in, but there appears to be something wrong with the connection for the old-fashioned round-plug keyboards--cannot get them to plug into the port. I suspect bent prongs. Anyway . . . the computer will not recognize the peripherals, and because I have no keyboard or mouse, I cannot load drivers for them, or get past the user account page at all! No setup or CD screen, because I have no functioning keyboard or mouse. I thought the "plug and play" feature would automatically recognize them, but no luck.

Help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,160 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 09:44 AM #2
I do not mess with dells too much however I would surmise that the usb keyboard function in the bios is set to disable. Have you asked the owner what type of keyboard/mouse they use?
Computer Specs
Member with 180 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 10:03 AM #3
Ahh, the old catch 22!! You have to enable USB Legacy support in the BIOS to get the USB keyboard to work and you can't do that because it requires a PS-2 keyboard to get to the BIOS setup. No option but to get the PS-2 connector fixed. It can't have "bent pins" in the computer connector because that is a female connection.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,857 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2010, 10:16 AM #4
Or get a USB -> PS2 keyboard adapter.
Computer Specs
Member with 180 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 11:18 AM #5
What good would that do if the PS-2 connector on the computer is broken?
Computer Specs
Member with 700 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 12:39 PM #6
Lewmur,
I think you got lost as you said yourself it couldn't be the PS2 port as it's female. Then he'd still have to try to use it via the adaptor to be sure it isn't working. Also there may be something jammed into a socket or two of the port preventing the plug from going in. Also if he doesn't have enough light he may not be plugging it correctly or it may not be a PS2 port. Aren't mice and keyboard plugs different? I don't know that they are or aren't. I'm thinking one has that large plastic guide pin and one doesn't.
At five years old I'd expect the OS to have a USB program that would recognize the plugged in board.
Computer Specs
Member with 180 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 01:43 PM #7
I'm not the one who is lost. I did NOT say it couldn't be the PS-2 connector. I said it couldn't be a BENT PIN in that connector. The original post indicated it WAS a problem with that connector because the problem existed with more than one keyboard. If the multiple keyboards won't work with the connector, then what makes you think the adapter will?

Normally, this problem is caused by a blown fuse in the PSU that supplies the voltage just for the PS-2 connector. It gets blown by plugging in a keyboard while the computer is running. Sometimes there is a jumper on the board to bypass the problem.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
10-Oct-2010, 02:11 PM #8
tgrover54, you might see if there's anything obstructing any of the connectors on the PS/2 keyboard port. If so, you might be able to clear it. You may also need the original keyboard and mouse. Some older Dells (and Gateways) don't always recognize generic USB keyboards or mice.
Computer Specs
Member with 700 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 05:53 PM #9
Didn't mean to upset you lewmur but he said he could not plug into the port. So we don't know if it works unless he can plug into it. Thus trying the adapter.
He postulated that one of the prongs may be bent. A prong is usually a part of a plug not a socket. So we do not know he can't plug into the port until he tries a new plug to be sure. Then we'll be able to find out if the port is broken.
Its one of the facts of life with computers at the moment, that he may have to buy a keyboard and mouse with a program disc to get access to find out if he has the right drivers or a port problem. I recomend Malwart you can get both for about $25 or so.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,226 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 06:14 PM #10
If both PS/2 and USB don't work all I can think of is resetting the CMOS, that might give USB again if it's on by default in the Bios.
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 06:43 PM #11
Thanks for all the help. I've taken a closer look at this computer. It is a Dell XPS 400. My research shows these first came out in 2006, so it isn't that old. The port is NOT a PS/2! While the PS/2 plug on the keyboards I have has the prongs in a circle with another straight prong at the bottom center, this computer only has one circular port on it--and the holes are in two straight rows across with another small one at the top. I have looked at all kinds of sites showing connectors, and have not seen any with this type of connector. I cannot load software for the mouse because I cannot get past the user account screen, and the computer will not recognize either the USB mouse or keyboard. I am at a loss. Buying a keyboard and mouse with a program disc is a waste of time, because I cannot get a CD to run. I am at the point of telling the client to dump the computer.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,857 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 06:59 PM #12
That port is likely to be s-video.
Computer Specs
Member with 180 posts.

10-Oct-2010, 08:47 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryfrustratedus View Post
Didn't mean to upset you lewmur but he said he could not plug into the port. So we don't know if it works unless he can plug into it. .
If you don't mean to upset people, then don't tell them they're "lost". I asked you a simple question. "If the keyboards won't work in the connector, then why would an adapter? I didn't accuse you of being lost. I didn't make any remarks about you at all.
Computer Specs
Member with 146 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 09:14 AM #14
Hey guys, I need help here, so you might want to take that conversation elsewhere. Any suggestions? The computer will not recognize the USB keyboard or house, even though the mouse is clearly "on," with the red light showing.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,596 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 09:49 AM #15
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/sm/index.htm

According to above link, this machine has no PS2 connectors for mouse or KB - strictly USB. The specs don't show a VGA/DVI connection, so suspect the round plug is on the vid card to be s-video as DaveBurnett stated. Doesn't mean someone could not have installed a PS2 PCI card, but sure wouldn't comprehend why, even if USB ports had failed - installing a multi-port USB PCI card would be more prudent. If you have a PS2 connected KB you will need a KB USB/PS2 adapter that allows USB KB to operate, also stated by DaveBurnett. A plain old mouse PS2 to USB adapter interface will not work with a keyboard. You need the USB/PS2 KB adapter or a USB KB.

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...CH#page=page-1

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...CH#page=page-1

I have one each of these for working on computers without PS2 keyboard and/or to be able to use my old PS2 KB on newer units that do not have PS2 KB connections.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert

Last edited by Wino; 11-Oct-2010 at 09:56 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
keyboard, mouse

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!