Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Press F1 to retry, F2 for setup. Can't boot

(!)

Junior Member with 14 posts.

16-Oct-2010, 05:44 PM #1
Solved: Press F1 to retry, F2 for setup. Can't boot
I just bought a couple year old Dimension 8300 desktop. I put a new WD 1TB hard drive in it and replaced the dead clock battery, hoping that that would be enough to get it up and running..however it was not.

I'm trying to install ubuntu 10.10 on it and have a CD with the program installed on it. I can get it to work fine on other systems so that's not the problem.

My computer is detecting the new hard drive as the primary SATA drive. Here's exactly what it says under the hard drive portion of the setup utility:
SATA primary drive: Hard Drive (Drive I just put in the tower) - 1000 GB Capacity
SATA secondary drive: off
Primary Master Drive: off
Primary Slave Drive: off
Secondary Master Drive: CD-ROM device (standard DVD drive)
Secondary Slave Drive: CD-ROM device (DVD RW)
IDE Drive UDMA: off

I am telling it to boot off of the IDE CD drive, but when I try it, I either instantly get the message telling me to push "F1 to retry or F2 to go into setup" or it will try for a little while (15 seconds or less) and then give me the same message I just stated.

Any ideas what I should try? Or more info you need? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Oct-2010, 05:56 PM #2
Try tapping F11 or F12 to bring up a one time boot menu, if the menu comes you can select CD/DVD.

16-Oct-2010, 05:58 PM #3
I've tried F12 and then choosing the CD/DVD option and my drive spun up, but I got the same message after a couple seconds :/
Member with 11,605 posts.

16-Oct-2010, 06:04 PM #4
Did you burn the CD as a ISO bootable CD?

16-Oct-2010, 06:07 PM #5
I think so. I tried booting it on my laptop and it worked fine

16-Oct-2010, 06:11 PM #6
You mean it booted from the CD on start up on the laptop ?

Is the new drive formated?

16-Oct-2010, 06:37 PM #7
Yes, my laptop is running vista, but I am able to boot from the disc and run ubuntu on it whenever I want to.

Not sure if the new drive is formatted. That may be where I'm struggling. How can I get it formatted if the computer doesn't want to boot up?

16-Oct-2010, 06:45 PM #8
Have you got another bootable CD like any operating system one and try that just to see if it will boot from that as a test

16-Oct-2010, 06:53 PM #9
I could try burning another copy of ubuntu and see if the disc is too beat up for the drive I suppose. I don't have any xp/vista/7 discs lying around though.
Also, I just tried getting it to install the ubuntu cd that I have and i got a different message it said:
"primary drive 0 not found"
and then proceeded to give me the F1/F2 message. Did I put my drive in wrong?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,855 posts.

16-Oct-2010, 07:14 PM #10
How are you telling it to boot from the 'IDE CD drive' ?

If not done already go into the Bios and make the Optical Drive(s) the first boot device(s).

In the Bios try setting the IDE UDMA to ON (and keep it that way).

If still no CD boot move the cable on the Mboard to the other IDE socket, this should make the 2 Optical drives Master and Slave on the Primary IDE connection.

If still no good try the CD in the other drive.

16-Oct-2010, 07:54 PM #11
I tell it to boot from the IDE CD drive by pushing F12 at startup and selecting option #4. Usually when I do it, the disc drive spins up but then give me the usual F1/F2 message.

I have made the optical drives the first boot devices with no luck.

I've been messing with IDE UDMA, but upon your suggestion, it will stay ON from now on.

I just got done moving the cable on the motherboard to the other IDE socket and, like you said, they are now seen as the master and slave drives - a promising start perhaps, but they still won't boot up the ubuntu disc. I've tried using both drives and I still get the same old message.

Any other ideas? Maybe my drive isn't compatible with ubuntu/the motherboard/something else? I don't know...
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Oct-2010, 09:26 AM #12
Access BIOS. Go to the ADVANCED tab. Move down to the DRIVE CONFIGUATION menu and see which option under ATA/IDE Configuration is set.

Normally, Enhanced is set. (Enhanced = All Serial ATA (SATA) and Parallel ATA (PATA) resources are enabled)

Different BIOS's may be worded differently.

17-Oct-2010, 10:00 AM #13
I can't find an 'advanced tab' anywhere on the BIOS. The BIOS version is A05 if that means anything. Under drive configuration, all I can do is look at what drives are detected by the machine. I've been looking through the entire BIOS for anything similar to this and can't find it. Any other ideas?

17-Oct-2010, 02:45 PM #14
Also, not sure if this means anything, but every time I get the Press F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility message, Two beeps come from the computer. If I hit F1, I will get two beeps and the exact same message will show up.

I tried booting off a flash drive and that led to the same result: F1/F2 message
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Oct-2010, 06:01 PM #15
Here are the default System Setup Screens. Go through the list item by item and make sure the BIOS defaults are setup per Dell's instructions. After all the defaults are set, save and exit.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/syssetup.htm

This setup screen is arranged a little differently than what I'm accustomed too. I don't recall on a Dell seeing a setting for OS Install Mode.

Also when you open BIOS at the top of the 1st BIOS screen there should be some information regarding the Processor, Level 2 Cache, BIOS Version, and Service Tag. Post the information listed in those blocks.

Last edited by win2kpro; 17-Oct-2010 at 06:10 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!