Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compaq with lost hard drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Oct-2010, 07:31 PM #1
Compaq with lost hard drive
I have a compaq presario CQ60. with windows vista Not sure what my daughter has done but I tried to log onto my laptop earlier but I get the message No bootable device insert boot disc and push any key. I didnt get any discs with it has all recovery built in, and a thicky I didnt make any discs. warrenty expired jan 2010.
I have managed to f2 it and it says 100% of the system memory tested ok, 966,807,552 bytes of system memory tested ok, memory test passed hard disk not exist. have tried copying onto disc driver recovery but my laptop doesn't read it. Managed to get onto a page which pulled up my computer screen and it says removable c drive no hard drive, setup information cant be found anywhere and all files are empty.
I have tried to run the self dianostic but it cant find any files to repair.
Please Help. I am a total novice and after spending 7 hours on my other daughters laptop trying to find some answers I give up.

Last edited by rosequartz; 21-Oct-2010 at 03:13 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

21-Oct-2010, 03:32 AM #2
Quote:
hard disk not exist.
it cant find the harddisk, which may mean the harddrive has failed or the controller,
it may be psoosible to replace the drive - some compaqs are quite easy to change - a couple of screws at the bottom and the drive slides out the side - others can be a bit more difficult

theres quite a few cq60 on the hp website under support
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...x=0&submit.y=0
then look down righthand side for manuals
should be a notebook tour - that will show where the harddrive bay is

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove...-g70-notebook/

if you replace the harddrive - you will need the recovery CDs - which you can buy from HP
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,483 posts.

21-Oct-2010, 05:39 AM #3
You might try reseating the hard drive in the drive bay. Sometimes connectors get dirty and simply removing and reinstalling the drive will allow it to be detected. I would not hold out a lot of hope however it is worth a shot.

It does not do you much good now however this is one of the many reasons we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your system stored on an external drive, it is a simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Done.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!