Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Water Spillage and Computer won't turn on--Hardware Damaged?

(!)

Junior Member with 28 posts.

27-Oct-2010, 06:35 AM #1
Water Spillage and Computer won't turn on--Hardware Damaged?
Last week I spilled lots of water on my computer and it will not turn on anymore. Basically what I am hoping for is for someone to read my exact steps I took right after I spilled the water, and give me recommendations as to what is broken and if I should go to service repair.

Right after I spilled the water on my keyboard of my hp laptop, I dried off the surface with a towel. Then I turned it upside down and more water dripped out. The whole time it was still on and I was trying to turn it off and kept on holding the power button but it would not turn off(slipped my mind to just take out battery). I kept on trying to turn it off in this manner until finally, about 1-1.5 minutes after the initial spill, the laptop turned off by itself. I then opened up all the covers to the parts to let the computer dry, using also a light blow dryer on cold to air it out a bit as well(later found I was not supposed to do this). I waited for 24 hours, made sure everything was dry and Tried powering it on, until to my dismay, it did not. It's been a week and I'm wondering

1) what do you think is exactly broken? I got the data extracted from a local computer shop, so that means my hard drive is OK. Does that mean just something involving the power blew up because of the water?

2) and do u recommend getting this fixed at a local service place or is it more worth it to just get a new laptop?

Thank you!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,048 posts.

27-Oct-2010, 06:53 AM #2
sounds like the motherboard has been shorted out - but could also included any other components connected to the motherboard

how old is the machine - what sort of specification ?
Exact Model of the HP Laptop

getting someone to replace the motherboard maybe quite expensive and also other parts maybe damaged , depending on what else is plugged into the motherboard.
you may want to get a quote from your local computer shop - or call HP support

If funds are available i would personally purchase a new laptop
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Oct-2010, 07:08 AM #3
Your notebook is fried. Your HD survived... which was likely.

Future reference, unplug power (if on AC) and rip out battery. It takes 5 seconds for a forced power down of holding the power button. The 1.5minute shut down was the computer dying.

You may try putting your notebook in a bag full of rice, closed up.

Consider a ThinkPad L (Low-End) or T series ($800+) that have channels to direct liquids away from electronics.

27-Oct-2010, 04:59 PM #4
Thanks so much for the replies. That was what I was afraid of--that themotherboard shorted out.

The exact model is hp g-60. I have had it for a year and a half.

Also, if I put it in a bag of rice, would that really do anything considering it's been a week since it got wet?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,324 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2010, 07:41 PM #5
The rice would absorb any humidity eminating from the Laptop Case.

28-Oct-2010, 03:23 AM #6
How much does it usually take to replace a motherboard? And if we know the motherboard is damaged, is it a sure shot that a service center can simply swap it out w a new one and it will work?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,324 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Oct-2010, 03:38 AM #7
With Laptops, generally (Almost always) THe only replacement for the motherboard will be the exact same model. As it is designed to Fit the Case in question. Unless this is a fairly current model, the manufacturer may no longer be able to provide a motherboard, and if they were able to sell one, it would cost as much for the new motherboard and installation as you can get a new Laptop for.
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Nov-2010, 07:43 PM #8
First, you'd have to have the notebook serviced for a tech to determine what is damaged. Motherboard and memory are two different parts. We can pretty much bet the mobo is dead... but what else? You wouldn't want to pay a guy to replace the board and find out the power supply board in the notebook is dead. Depending on the model, is the CPU soldered to the board? Just a CPU-less notebook motherboard is about $150~400.

Stats of the G60 looks like a typical $600 notebook.

You'd spend at about:
$150 for a tech estimate on damage (maybe more)
$200 HP motherboard replacement
$100 for installing the part
----------------------------------------
$450 Sub total

(Some maybes)
$75 - Power supply board
$50 - wireless board
$50 - memory
$85 - Battery
$75 - keyboard
$65 - Optical drive

That could be another $50~400 in parts... ouch
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...bname=Features

Its a bottom end model at $630 - with an i3 CPU, 2GB RAM and Windows7 - but it'll smoke that HP... when it was alive.
The Edge Series is about $30~70 cheaper. The T-Series starts at $730.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!