Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Starts for 1 Second then dies

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

12-Nov-2010, 07:03 PM #1
Computer Starts for 1 Second then dies
Hello Noob here,

I have a built my own computer, however one day when I got home the computer was shut down and it would not restart again. I finally got it to restart but it goes on for 1 second the phase LED turn on the mobo but then dies immediately. I did some research and the first answer that came up was that it may be the power supply. I got a new one however still the same problem. Then I heard it may be the mobo, so I did an RMA with Gigabyte but they said there was nothing wrong with the mobo and they just updated the bios. I looked at the cpu and from what I can tell there is no physical damage to that ie. burnt. Any idea on what may be the problem? It has been causing a lot of stress lol

My Specs:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Intel i7 860
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws
Gigabyte UD4P
Nvidia Geforce 7600
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
WD Raptors 2x74GB
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

13-Nov-2010, 09:09 AM #2
could it be a temperature issue - is the fan on the CPU working OK - is the heatsink correctly seated on the CPU - is there thermal compound between heatsink and CPU

13-Nov-2010, 01:11 PM #3
yep to all, the thermal paste is the one which was provided by intel. could it be the thermal paste is very bad? Also the heatsink is provided by Intel. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade it?
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2010, 01:15 PM #4
how long has it been working correctly

14-Nov-2010, 01:53 AM #5
it worked for about a month before it failed
Computer Specs

14-Nov-2010, 05:27 AM #6
i would remove all devices except for - System harddrive , mobo, psu, memory, graphics
see if that works in a minimum configuration
If the mobo has integrated graphics and sound (could not find the mobo online - whats the exact model) - I would use those and remove any cards you have installed
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,673 posts.

14-Nov-2010, 08:51 AM #7
Before you do anything, open the case and check the mounting of the hsf. Take you hand and place it on each of the four push-pins and attempt to move them. If you can move any of the pins or if they are loose, you have found your problem. With the intel type coolers, they must contact the cpu heat spreader with a min of 15lb clamping force. Less than this and you have problems.
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Nov-2010, 10:32 AM #8
On all Intel LGA "push pin" coolers the notch on the pins must be pependicular to the heatsink or they will not lock down to the motherboard.

Look at all the "push pins" and make sure the notch is aligned correctly, then go back around and push down firmly on each pin. Some people find that it is easier to push down on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other to engage the locks properly.

If it is necessary at any time to remove the cooler, after the pins are unlocked by turning the notch counterclockwise 90 it is also necessary after the pins are turned to lift UP on the pins to fully unlock them.

14-Nov-2010, 03:28 PM #9
http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_p55a-ud4p/ here is the exact mobo I have, I don't believe it has integrated graphics.

Anyways, I am just waiting to get my mobo back from gigabyte and give ur suggestions a try, and report back.
Computer Specs

14-Nov-2010, 04:54 PM #10
When your board is returned it will be necessary to thoroughly clean the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor heatspreader before reinstalling the cooler. I use denatured alcohol to clean the surfaces, but any good isopropyl alcohol will be just fine.

In my opinion the two best thermal compounds you can use for cooler reinstallation are #1-Innovation Cooling (IC Diamond) or #2-Arctic Silver 5.

IC Diamond has two different sizes one called IC Diamond 7 carat and one called IC Diamond 24 carat. The only difference in the two is the amount of compound in the syringe.

The specs on Innovation Cooling are located here;

http://www.innovationcooling.com/index.html

Application instructions are located here;

http://www.innovationcooling.com/app...structions.htm

Arctic Silver specs are here;

http://www.arcticsilver.com/#

Arctic Silver application instructions are here;

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Personally no matter which compound I use I only apply the thermal compound to the center of the processor heatspreader (like the Innovation Cooling Instructions) and let the clamping action do the spreading. Arctic Silver's instructions are a little different, but use the instructions that you feel most comfortable with.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

14-Nov-2010, 05:04 PM #11
I have to agree with everyone else, it sounds like one of the pins was not all the way through the board or not clamped tight and that can be so tough to see. It may have been good enough for a while and then just loosened up enough to cause this.

17-Nov-2010, 12:55 AM #12
Okay so I got my mobo back and I bought a heatsink. Still the same problem. Now what I did was I removed 1 piece of hardware and tried to start it up. I removed the video card the computer now starts for longer but then dies and tries to start up continuously but keeps dying. This is because the mobo doesnt have integrated graphics. But now does that mean I found my problem and the problem piece was the video card?
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

17-Nov-2010, 04:14 AM #13
Is the card a 7600gs? If so, is it hooked up to the power supply? If not, do you have access to another machine to try the video card in?
Computer Specs

17-Nov-2010, 07:32 AM #14
Unless you have spare components, i.e. graphics card, memory, power supply, etc. the machine needs to be on a workbench where components can be switched to find out what is failing.

18-Nov-2010, 07:46 PM #15
tried with another video card....same problem. starts for about 2 seconds and dies and keeps trying. Really confused now. I have absolutely no idea what the problem is
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!