Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fan Making Clicking Noises

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Nov-2010, 08:10 PM #1
Fan Making Clicking Noises
Ok this will probably get you baffled as it as weird as can be, even computer profressionals at my local computer repair shop are baffled too and it seems no one can figure out what this is.

It all starts with my computer being very dirty and my fan is making alot of clicking noises and when I watched videos it went very loud, so I take it up to the repair shop, they clean it out and replace the fan, which turned out very good, they got rid of the part where the fan goes really loud when I was watching videos.

But still some reason my computer still makes clicking noises so I take it up again ask the guy if he can put the comp on a while so he can hear it, but he doesnt and he has the thing on for a whole day, so nothing can be done cause obviously he needs to hear the clicking noises to find out where the root of the problem is

So I take it home start it up works fine for a while but then the clicking comes back once again and here I am, confused as hell and dunno what on earth is causing this and it seems the pros dont know either. I need some help guys, anyone know what this could be, is it the fans or is it just something else that could be causing this as it is extremely annoying, thanks alot!
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Nov-2010, 08:35 PM #2
Listen closely to the hard drive to see if it is clicking. If it is the hard drive clicking, start backing up your data.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 08:24 AM #3
Naw man its not the click of death or anything cause I heard that sound sample from Wiki, its more of a different rapid clicking noise, it sounds more from the fan or maybe from the back of the computer where the power supply is, its hard to tell. And its been happening for a good while now on my computer so I doubt its to do with that... well I hope not cause I know where that leads to.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Nov-2010, 08:40 AM #4
There is nothing quite as good as a mechanics stethescope to locate the source of the "noise".

Since these stethescopes use a metal rod if you are going to probe metallic objects fabricate a hard plastic tip cover so that you don't run the risk of "shorting" a component while probing.
Computer Specs
Member with 479 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 08:48 AM #5
Wiki is kind of useless really. As indicated most likely is the HD
Computer Specs
Member with 479 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 08:49 AM #6
Also you can try posting a clip of the sound...
Member with 32 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 08:59 AM #7
I assume we're talking a case fan and not something else like a CPU fan.

Have you tried opening your computer up and listening very very very closely to see if you can narrow down the location of the source of noise?

Is it only happening when you're doing some CPU intensive things like watching videos? If it really is the fan, it would make sense that the clicking starts when the fan speed kicks up. If your local shop was just leaving it on but idle all day then the fan would never pick up speed. Or perhaps even something like leaving the tower in a different position (eg. standing up instead of on it's side) could effect the noise or lack thereof.

I think it's up to you to figure out the source of the noise and then we can go from there. Like I said, just leave the case open and then do whatever it is you do to make that noise come about. That stethescope suggestion from win2k is brilliant. I gotta get me one of those.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!